• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice, people with bunnies who have become blind.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
This is a question for anyone who has had a rabbit who has become blind while in your care.

How did they adjust and did they exhibit any different behaviour?

Grim has been loosing his sight for a while now. I thought he was completely blind when he had his previous eye infection. I brought him inside while he was like this and he had real trouble adjusting to new surroundings, bumping into things and walking really slowly. As his eyes cleared up he seemed more comfortable but I thought maybe he was now used to where he was, but his eyes have flared up again over the last week and he's acting the same again. I think when they're really bad he is completely blind and I always thought he was okay with this, but this time it feels as if he's really insecure. He keeps on seeking out corners to sit in. At one point he would sit in the carry case on his own. I didn't like him being in there without Smoo and she seemed a little off without him. They were in the same room but she wouldn't go in there with him, to be honest there isn't much room in there. Now he's sat in the corner of the room and hardly moves. Smoo will sit with him and clean him, he will go and get food and clean himself, but otherwise he just sits there.

I'm just worrying about him. I've got some more stuff being sent to me to help his eyes, some more painkillers, antibiotics and I'm trying out some local anaesthetic to help with the pain when they're really bad and I still have to clean them out. But I think the blindness is affecting him as well.

mowgli got cateracts with old age, i was soo worried, but he addapted very well, kept surroundings how he remembered them, and rosie seemed to look after him too, he had no problems :wave:

Back