• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EC Questions

wendle

Warren Veteran
I need to ask a few questions if anyone can help me please I'm all confused as to what to do .....

I had a bonded pair outside in a playhouse run etc for nearly 4 years sadly on the 4th March I lost my little male Dudley to EC leaving behind his 6 yr old partner Smudge, she had a 28 day course of panacur and she is now my house bunny living in my bedroom I burnt the playhouse and everything in it because I was so upset my bunny had died from that horrible thing, anyway I just want to ask a few questions please ....

1... Can my remaining bunny be a carrier because I was told its passed on thru spores in the urine...

2...will my remaining bunny have given it to her partner...

3...I would love to get another small male bunny for her so she has another friend to live in the house with her but I'm really scared that because my other bunny died from EC if I get smudge a husbun that one will also get it ....

4...why did just my little Dudley get it and his partner didn't

Any replies will be appreciated :wave:

I'm so sorry you lost Dudley.

When you say 'EC' what symptoms did he have and how was he diagnosed? Often many cases of EC are misdiagnosed, that's why I ask.

He had severe head tilt he didn't have any infection in his ears he had loads of tests done but he wouldn't eat the vet was syringe feeding him and he stopped swallowing he looked shocking

Lots of bunnies carry EC but it doesn't necessarily cause them problems as they can be a carrier without having an active infection. The spores are shed via the urine so another bun can catch it by ingesting these spores say by eating contaminated hay if its on the floor, or standing in it then cleaning themselves. Comet had EC and so I treated his partner as well as a precaution. I contemplated doing my other 9 buns but my vet told me I was panicing as they all have seperate accomondation, runs, food bowls etc. Comets partner never got it nore did any other bun and though I was lucky Comet made a full recovery I would of had no problem bonding his partner again if the worst had happened.

But what if my little smudge is a carrier and if I get her another bunny I'm a bit scared that one would get it from her urine :cry:

If it was EC (because most cases of head tilt are not actually directly as a result of EC), then I would answer your questions with these answers (but bear in mind knowledge on EC is wide and varied and different people believe different things).

1... Can my remaining bunny be a carrier because I was told its passed on thru spores in the urine... Yes, but the expectation is that the majority of bunnies carry EC

2...will my remaining bunny have given it to her partner... Most bunnies contract the EC spores at birth, so whilst it's possible that she did, it would be most likely that he already had the spores in his body.

3...I would love to get another small male bunny for her so she has another friend to live in the house with her but I'm really scared that because my other bunny died from EC if I get smudge a husbun that one will also get it .... Again, as above, most bunnies are expected to carry it and have it dormant, in the same way that the majority of bunnies carry pastuerella with no symptoms.

4...why did just my little Dudley get it and his partner didn't Genuine EC often occurs when the immune system is lowered so any bunny can struggle with it if their immune system is lowered in the same way that mites are held in check by the immune system until/less it's lowered and the same with pastuerella

That is just my knowledge and experience of it.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I thought if she'd had the 28day course she should of shed the spores by now? Although I also read somewhere updated thinking is a six week course.

But you'll have no gaurentee the new bunny isn't a carrier anyway, maybe you could treat the new bun aswell, I always do as a precaution.

Thankyou Sky-O I'll also talk to my vet on Monday when I take them back for their Myxi jabs :)

Back