• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Renal failure?

Linuxete

Warren Scout
Hello, again. I have almost 4 years old lionhead female, unspayed, she lives only indoors. Lucy's sick and I don't know what's wrong with her;( She's been strange this whole week, but started acting sick about two days ago. She seems to be tired and when I let her out of her cage she just goes to lay somewhere or just sits in one place. She seems to be really scared and extremely alert over every little noise. Also she don't want to lay in her usual places. I think she's uncomfortable with her lower abdomen area. About two weeks ago she was treated for UTI with Baytril. They only gave her 3 shots everyday of it and said that's enough, but as far as I know it has to be treated with antibiotics at least 7-10 days to make it go away. Am I right?
She had something like that about two years ago, all her symptoms were the same. At that time we did full blood test and abdomen X-rays, everything was normal, except for high blood sugar which was 10.85 mmol/L, so our vet said it's diabetes, but I know that's really rare in rabbits and that blood sugar can raise high because of fear and stress while they where taking her blood. They sugfested me to perform a laparotomy, but I refused, took her home and she got better after a month or so. She had occasional sickness, but she always got better on her own. At that time I thought that it was something wrong with her GI tract, but later I started noticing her peeing changes, like significantly small pee puddles, staying longer to urinate.
She was eating good until this morning, right now she's hunched up in her cage corner, made only 4 normal looking poos and peed a bit. During the night she drinked about 150 ml of her water and peed a lot. I took her to vet yesterday and described her symptoms, she was having diahrrea last morning, so our vet didn't want to prescribe her antibiotics. Gave her some pain relief (Ketoprofen), vitamins and something antiinflammatory. After trip to the vet she was scared but still eating and wanted all her usual treats and was eating like usual. This morning she wanted to go out of her cage even was running and making binkies, ate dandelion leaves, hay and some clover. When I put her in cage she just hunched up and didn't want to eat or do anything else, just pooed and peed a bit, after that she tried to pee in other corner but the hunched up and she's still there at the moment.
I'm going to take her to our vet again, maybe for those antibiotics in case it's UTI again. But I'm really worried about her. Could this be renal failure or it's more likely to be her UTI problem again, because she got only 3 shots and it didn't worked properly?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I thought about this, but her urine seems to be clear and no sludge is visible. Our vet didn't suggest that, just palpated her abdomen area, checked her bladder and said it looks normal and nothing like bladder stone or sludge is felt by touching, also said her kidneys aren't enlarged and seems to be normal. I didn't wan't them to do the blood test because she gets extremely stressed by that and would probably stop eating. That happened when we did it last time. I know it's imposible to tell if her kidneys are functioning normal or not without a blood test, but I just don't want to upset her more than she's now.
She started eating after an hour when I posted this thread, but still is not her usual self. Her pee is brown in colour, but I guess that's because she eats dandelions. She also started pooing, they look normal in shape and size, no diahrrea.
I wouldn't say she's drinking lots, because today she drinked just a little bit of her water, about 40-50 ml, maybe less. she tries to lay on her tummy, but not always, sometimes she just hunches up, but is still alert and when want to give her some treats she happily gets up and begs for them.
I didn't took her to the vets, but I called them and they said that they still don't want to give her antibiotics, and just asked me to observe her and keep her eating, drinking, pooing an peeing. Also give her Bio-Lapis, to keep her gut flora normal.
I hope it's not renal failure, because it's untreatable. How was your bunnies acting when they had renal failure?

I thought about this, but her urine seems to be clear and no sludge is visible. Our vet didn't suggest that, just palpated her abdomen area, checked her bladder and said it looks normal and nothing like bladder stone or sludge is felt by touching, also said her kidneys aren't enlarged and seems to be normal. I didn't wan't them to do the blood test because she gets extremely stressed by that and would probably stop eating. That happened when we did it last time. I know it's imposible to tell if her kidneys are functioning normal or not without a blood test, but I just don't want to upset her more than she's now.
She started eating after an hour when I posted this thread, but still is not her usual self. Her pee is brown in colour, but I guess that's because she eats dandelions. She also started pooing, they look normal in shape and size, no diahrrea.
I wouldn't say she's drinking lots, because today she drinked just a little bit of her water, about 40-50 ml, maybe less. she tries to lay on her tummy, but not always, sometimes she just hunches up, but is still alert and when want to give her some treats she happily gets up and begs for them.
I didn't took her to the vets, but I called them and they said that they still don't want to give her antibiotics, and just asked me to observe her and keep her eating, drinking, pooing an peeing. Also give her Bio-Lapis, to keep her gut flora normal.
I hope it's not renal failure, because it's untreatable. How was your bunnies acting when they had renal failure?

They drank and wee'd a lot, lost vast amounts of weight despite initially having a good appetite, They also lost their litter tray training.

My Lucy doesn't seem to be losing weight, her weight is about 2.2 kg and it seems to be stable. How fast they lost their weight? Weeks? Months?
How did you find out about this? Blood test? And how old they were? I know that renal failure can happen at any age, but mostly it's elder bunnies.
How you were taking care of them? What diet they were on?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

I managed to get her Baytril and Ketoprofen from the vets, so we're going to give her injections later today, it's not the first time so I know how to do this. It's less stressing for her than visit to vets, since they don't do anything else, but just gives her injections everytime we go there. Do you think antibiotics won't make her more sick and could help her to get better?

Last edited:
Back