• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Muesli doesnt seem quite right.

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Muesli isnt quite himself today. He didn't want to take his meds, which he usually will take without being picked up. Although he ran to the food bowl with Starbuck for their pellets, he didn't eat any and went to the side and just sat there. I did manage to tempt him with a fenugreek crunchie which he ate, and also some dried coltsfoot which he also ate. I think there were a couple of odd noises coming from his tummy and he has done a few strange positions. A couple of small, dark poos came out, possibly with a small amount of liquid but its hard to be sure as it was on his puppy pad, then after that he seemed a tiny bit more comfortable and started eating pellets very slowly.

I watched for a bit and he ate a few pellets, then I decided to give them 5 mins peace, made a cup of tea and went back up to them, Muesli was sat in his litter tray eating hay, popped out again for a minute, then went back in and he is now lying stretched out in the litter tray.

Any thoughts as to what I should do? Normally if they are not eating I would go straight to the vets to get them back on track as soon as possible. But because he is eating a little bit, I'm not sure if I should wait to see if he feels better with a bit more tempting of food?

Thank you Tim. I've just offered him a bunch of wet coriander and he has eaten the whole lot up. He has passed a few misshapen dark poos but not as wet as some of the ones I have seen him do previously so hopefully he is passing whatever is upsetting his tummy. He is in the litter tray though, so I will continue to monitor and try to tempt with tasty treats. If he's no better by this afternoon/evening, or if I am not happy with how he seems, I will take him to the vets.

He's had some more wet coriander, and half a very small carrot, after which he climbed up my leg to beg for more!! :lol: He also then had some dried coltsfoot leaves. He has passed a few more poops and is now in the litter tray with Starbuck. He let out a few loud noises, I wasnt sure if they were coming from his mouth or his stomach but I think they were maybe very loud hiccups. I don't think he is 100% right but he is better than he was first thing this morning so will continue to monitor and see how he goes. Thanks.

Sounds like a bit of gas. Xena gets this if she eats her pellets too quickly or if she has too much grass. She looks uncomfortable and her tummy makes a lot of gurgling noises, she will then pass some "odd" poos and seem a lot more comfortable and starts scoffing her hay again. I would keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't stop eating again or show signs of discomfort. If he does then I'd take him to the vets right away. :)

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and he will sort himself out.

Thank you, you could be right about the gas, it did sound like there were a few gurgling noises. I wasn't sure whether to maybe give him some infacol. He has loxicom anyway for his arthritis. Will keep a very close eye on him and take him to the vets if he looks any worse. Thank you.

Hope whatever has upset his tummy has already started to pass and you get some normal poops soon. Sending lots of vibes for Muesli xx

Been checking on Muesli this afternoon, its their quiet time so hard to tell how he is compared to this morning, but when I popped my head in just now he was munching his way through a load of fresh hay, so fingers crossed whatever it was has passed through him. I'll be keeping a watchful eye tonight and tomorrow, and think he will just get herbs/leaves for his tea tonight (plus hay of course!).

Only just seen this Helen, really hope that Muesli is on the mend, it sounds like he had a gassy tummy and hopefully it's passed now

You know where I am if you need me xx

Thank you :D He seems absolutely fine this morning so it probably was a touch of gas. Don't know what caused it, maybe he had been having a bit of cauliflower leaf and I also gave him a tiny amount of banana skin on Thursday afternoon which he has never had before, so maybe his tummy just doesnt like that, its not something I would regularly give to them anyway and don't think I will give it again. Thanks for all the advice.

Thank you :D He seems absolutely fine this morning so it probably was a touch of gas. Don't know what caused it, maybe he had been having a bit of cauliflower leaf and I also gave him a tiny amount of banana skin on Thursday afternoon which he has never had before, so maybe his tummy just doesnt like that, its not something I would regularly give to them anyway and don't think I will give it again. Thanks for all the advice.

Wonderful news. :love:

Back