• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you have a male/female bias in your animals?

tasteofchaos

Mama Doe
I have 7 pets at the moment (3 buns, 2 sheep, 1 dog, 1 horse) and all are male. I was thinking about it and out of all the animals i've had only 2 have been female, one sheep, one bun. I generally bond more strongly with male animals, hence having lots of boys!
Do you mainly have/have had male or female animals or more of an even spread?

We got ducks hens geese a co ckatiel 3 bunnys and 1 dog not sure about what the ducks and geese etc are my hubby takes care of them but my dog is female bird is male and I have 2 female bunnys and 1 male now :)

I have equal numbers at the moment but I am usually more drawn to male pets. I think in most species they have slightly better temperaments.

3 dogs (2 female/1 male), 2 cats (1 female/1 male), 3 rabbits (2 female/1 male), 2 guinea pigs (2 male), 2 hamsters (1 female/1 male).

6 females and 6 males! :D

Just the way it worked out really, I don't have preferences really. I do seem to prefer female bunnies though.

Last edited:
I have 4 male and 4 female - all the males (excluding my dog as he is a bit timid) are very easygoing, laid back and generally much less nervy than the girls. Sweep bunny and Marley piggy especially :love:

I tend to find the girls more interesting though, Hettie is very active and lively in the garden while free ranging and does the most impressive binkies, whereas Sweep will generally sit and eat grass. Same with the piggies, Molly is a nutter and zooms around the cage and is so vocal towards me whereas Marley would rather just sit for a cuddle or nibble some hay :)

I don't have a favourite really, but I do know that I will always tend to have both male and female of all species of animals I get as I do think they are different :D

1 male/1 female pair of buns I haven't really got to know much yet as only had them a week or so before I came to uni, but on first impressions again, male much less nervy than female :thumb:

I've had a female cat and a female syrian hamster...
Currently a female bunny, a male bunny and a male chinese hamster.

The only conscious decision was to get a husbun for Finx, the others just happened :)

I prefer female pets usually [not sure why??] especially when it comes to dogs... I've never owned a boy doggie.

At the moment I have

1 dog [female]
4 bunnies [2male & 2 female] :thumb:

We have 3 boys and one girl. Just circumstance really, as Salt and Pepper, one of our bonded pair of bunnies, are brothers and very closely bonded, then we have a male and female pair.
When Squidy was still here, we had 4 boys, and poor old Daisy-Boo and I felt a little outnumbered!

It depends on the species of animal but I usually prefer males. For future animals I want I decided on whether I want male, female, both or if it doesn't matter either way and there were a lot more males on the list.

I definitely prefer male dogs, from what I've heard they tend to be more laid back, affectionate, better for multiple dog households and you don't have to deal with heat cycles (considering dogs aren't supposed to be neutered until they're at least a year old so you'd have to go through at least 1 heat cycle).

I don't have much of a preference for cats or rabbits. I prefer male parrots so I don't have to deal with egg problems, and for species that talk, males usually talk better. I prefer female button quail purely because males usually fight if kept together, females tend to get along. I prefer female ducks because they don't get hormonal and you don't have to worry about having too many males (if there's too many males and not enough females the females will get mated too much).

1 male and 1 female :D

No preferences here though :) All my hamsters but one have been male however, I've always been told that male hamsters are calmer and easier to tame but I don't know if there's any truth in that :lol:

1 male and 1 female :D

No preferences here though :) All my hamsters but one have been male however, I've always been told that male hamsters are calmer and easier to tame but I don't know if there's any truth in that :lol:

I think there is some truth in that, with Russian hams at least (I can't remember much of a difference with my male/female Syrians.. they were all pretty hyper :lol:). My female Russians were SO hyper and playful and the males were more calm.

I prefer male Syrians due to the risk of pyrometra with female Syrians. I think that's what my old ham Kacey died of :(

I have 5 males and 4 females.

Out of those 5 males, 3 of them were supposed to be girls. I always want female pets and they always turn out to be boys! :lol:

I have 12 pets at the moment - only one is male!
I wouldn't say that I bond more strongly with female pets, just it's not practical/possible to have cockerels or male mice.

I didn't think I had a preference but I have eight cats - and only one of those is male - and eleven bunnies and only four of them are male. I do have a male guinea-pig though.

4 male horses , 1 male hamster, 1 male dog, 1 male rabbit, 1 male guinea pig
1 female horse, 1 female guinea pig,

So 8 males and 2 females in total

I think with horses we always tend to go for geldings because mares can be quite Mareish and I know with Lucy our youngster she's a nightmare when in season

But as for other animals I have no preference gender wise in the past we've had just as many females it's just we have alot of males currently

I don't really mind.....but I do prefer lady doggies as I don't like boy dogs privates!!!!!! Hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have 4 female rabbits/2 males and 5 female guineas.

If I'm honest I do prefer males personalities as it tends to be more cheeky but I wouldn't change any of them for the world :love:

Back