• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

hi

fiesta_17

New Kit
hi there i am new the the form and my spelling isent the greatest so stay with me plz ..

i have got giant continental rabbits that is called gary so i said to my dad today can i get a uthere small rabbit to keep him from being longla

so i got a english chain today my dad got me it but wen we got it home it is very scard and i mean very scrad..and the head is really small and the eyes look like tha are poping out his wee head but he can still see i hassent eat and thing from the day at 5 oclock and i am worried there is sumthing up with him now and i have keeped him away for gary just incase there is sumthing up if son body could help me would be great thanks .jamie

Hi Jamie,

Hopefully somebody else will be along shortly to properly advise you. Your right about your spelling, but nevertheless well done you for getting a bit of help as you clearly need it.

My main piece of advice is that rabbits need to 'bond'. You cannot just throw them together as they won't necessarily get along together straight away. There is a forum on 'bonding' on these message boards. It will take time and patience. Do you have the time and patience to bond 2 rabbits?

Where did your Dad get the rabbit from? Is it a male or famale? Has it been neutered/spayed? Do you have suitable accommodation to keep the rabbits separate for the time being?

Like I say, well done for seeking advice ... you must now act on it (others will post) otherwise your rabbits are going to be unhappy and suffer unnecessarily.

Cara

A rabbit not eating is very serious. I would keep him in a dark and quiet place with some food, hay and maybe a tiny bit of veg or fruit to temp him. He is probably very scared being in a new place. But if he doesn't start eating you will need to go to the vets with him. Tomorrow morning at the LATEST. If you leave it any longer it could be too late as the gut just shuts down.

Once he's well we can all give you some good advice about getting them to be friends, but getting him eating is more important right now. :)

hi and thanks

i have the patience to bond 2 rabbits no bothere has i have had rabbits befor for a long time to

he got it from a market down in lanrk next to were i stay .and i am un sure about being sprayed and it is a boy
and yes he is in a uthere room in the house the now and gary is in the middle off geting a large shut build for him with large heater to

he is in a dark and quiet place with some food the now and water and carrots to so going to see how he gets on with in the next hour

Okay ... so you have 2 male rabbits one of which may not be neutered?

What about Gary? Is he neutered? Although I am not an expert on bonding, I have bonded rabbits in the past. As I understand it, bonding 2 un-neutered male rabbits is nigh on impossible. I am not at all confident that bonding that combination with 1 of the 2 males neutered is great either.

So ... is Gary neutered?

gary is 1 years old this uthere one i have being told it is only really young but ..but i am not to bothered about geting them to gethere the now if there is a chance he is got a problem with him i dont wont gary geting anything up with him

If the little one isn't well you may need to take him/her to see a vet tomorrow who will make ya bunny better I would personally keep them separate :)

I hope you don't mind me asking .. but I am wondering how old you are? If you are rather youthful, do you have family to help support you with your 2 rabbits. I must say, I am a bit of an old 'un and even I need support at times with my rabbits!

no i dont mind i am 27 years old.. it just seems to be like the eyes are like that are poping out but not that tha are going to burst but .just i am worried about if he is going to be ok ... i am going to just keep them away from each uthere to tha are ok but after i find out that he is ok then i will get them to gethere but tha will be not in to gethere tha will be able to see each uthere thats it but not be in to gethere but

It is a bad idea to try to bond these bunnies. Gary is a male giant probably unneutered, the new bunny is a male small bunny probably unneutered. Bonding these two bunnies is simply going to end in tradegy, most probably for the new bunny as he is so small and he is 'invading' Gary's territory.

You need to get this little one to a vet to be checked if he is acting out of sorts. How young is this new bunny......I am just hoping that he is old enough to be away from his mum seen as you got him from a market.

hi there i am not puting this to gethere now any way ....... i dont no how old he is as my dad just bidded and got him at the market today but sumthings not right he is meant to be young but wen you lift him he dosent move and wen you pet him he dosent even move and if you go next to him he just lyns down flat as if you are going to hurt him ....its like if you see sumbody is bd to a dog and the dog gets scared wen you go next to it that is wat he is like you just feel so sorry for him wen you go up to see him ...i even put water on my finger and put my finger up to his mounth and he dident even bothere atoll

is there anybody for grangemouth at breeds giant continental rabbits on this form that anybody nos off cos the guy i got gary off wos really good with rabbits and he give me his email address but i have missed place it and if he wos on here would be great

Okay, there is only one starting point here for this rabbit - the vets. PLEASE take him tomorrow first thing, as all this does not bode well.

Did you get the little one an appointment at the vets?

What are you going to do with this new bunny now that he can not be bonded?

Once you have this new bunny sorted out I would recommend getting Gary neutered then using a rescue to bond him to a giant female who will have already been spayed. There is a rescue Falkirk way that would possibly be able to help you if you decide to do that. You take Gary there and then you get him back all happily bonded with a giant Mrs. :)

It sounds like he is very scared. If he hasn't eaten in a long time he needs to see a vet. Once you've take him to the vet put him in a small enclosure that is dark, give him plenty of food (hay and pellets) and water and leave him alone for a while, let him calm down and recover.

hi there i got up nice and ealry today to take him to the vets but he wos looking alot beter running about and has being drinking his water and eating a wee bit off salda ..but befor looks alot beter

and do you have the number for this place please would be great .i won't be boneding gary with him and i will still be keeping the wee guy just seems like its being very scrad as every thing is being changeing for him .will keep up dated

Ok i live fairly near to lanark so if i can help with good rabbit vets etc let me know. For a female giant, try Fairly Beloved Rabbit Care. They are a local rabnit charity an i know they have giants available for rehoming. If you go on their website, there is a list of rabbits available. Gary will need to be neutered or a bond wont work.

Back