• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Whats good to get rid of external bugs and flys

couchy

Young Bun
yea i have noticed there are slugs, an explosion of baby earwigs and so far not many flys

is there anything or brand thats good to get rid of this?

Is this in your rabbits hutch?
If so check your rabbits bottom area thoroughly and get some rear guard to prevent fly strike.
As for te hutch, gut it out. Scrub it down and I'm sure you can buy an aerosol type stuff to prevent flies in the hutch. Plus clean it out regularly, and check rabbits daily especially their bottom area.

no its not in the hutch its in the run just by the door the rabbits are fine, no fly strike or bugs in the hutch itself just alot of their wee on te walls which i cant get off

I think for the slugs you may just have to collect and get rid. There are ways to get rid but most will possibly also harm the rabbits, ie, salt, garlic spray, blue pellets, etc. maybe some of these methods around the run so they don't get in in the first place.

Providing the area is clean you shouldn't have too much trouble with flies. Flies can be very dangerous to a rabbit however, flystrike is sadly very common in summer time. Some plants help repel flies, I believe lavender and rosemary are two bunny edible possibilities.

Don't know much about earwigs I'm afraid, other than they seem to like dark areas such as under rocks and pots.

To get rid of the wee stains try some vinegar, works wonders. ;)

Back