• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moulting

zoe-bailey

New Kit
Hi all . Are there any health issues associated with moulting and rabbits cleaning themselves? Baileys been moulting for a while now and starting to get concerned. Should I be taking him to the vet? He's eating but drinking A lot!! Any advice or past experience would be great thank you.

Hello!!

If hes grooming himself, he may ingest a bit of fur.This can cause a few problems.Have you seen any poops linked together like a pearl necklace??

Would he let you pluck and groom him, just to give a bit of help??

I plucked fur out of BB today and took the brush to him.There was loads of fur.....

Yeh he's quite happy with me grooming him! He actually really enjoys it! Yes his latest poo yes was a bit off but his litter tray is normal! His attitude absolutely is terrible at the moment. I'm taking him to vets tomoz any ways get him checked out! I'd rather be ok the safe side!

Yeh he's quite happy with me grooming him! He actually really enjoys it! Yes his latest poo yes was a bit off but his litter tray is normal! His attitude absolutely is terrible at the moment. I'm taking him to vets tomoz any ways get him checked out! I'd rather be ok the safe side!

Thats good....bunnies should have health checks.xx

Time to lose the winter coat, Finx is moulting too! I usually give her a hand to make sure she doesn't ingest too much fur, and so does Tango (which is counter productive :roll:) He doesn't seem to have started yet, but he loves being brushed, surprisingly.

You can get gloves with rubber dots on that have worked for me with short, fine bunny hair and are popular with the rabbits. Worth a go!

I'll try the gloves I think! Definetly want to help him out he looks so sorry for himself! He's quite clean rabbit uses his litter tray only. So his fur must be driving him mad. Bless him! Thank you for all ur advice. That's all u can do when u don't know is ask!

argh moulting! My pair are moulting and there is hair everywhere! Literally balls of hay rolling around the kitchen like tumbleweed!

Hope you can help by grooming x

I'll try the gloves I think! Definetly want to help him out he looks so sorry for himself! He's quite clean rabbit uses his litter tray only. So his fur must be driving him mad. Bless him! Thank you for all ur advice. That's all u can do when u don't know is ask!

:thumb:

:wave:Sierra 323, where can I get those gloves? They sound like a good idea:)

I got them from local pet shop, they look like these though:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mikki-Cot...1?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3374c50d13
Finx loooooves them!

Back