• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can does have a... (adult?)

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
...period?

Hubbys colleague has a single doe. She seems really well looked after and has a playhouse to live in. She is not spayed and colleage found blood in the corner of playhouse. They took her to the vet who told them it was a period. Can this happen?

No, its physically impossible. Rabbits are induced ovulators, so they only ovulate when a buck mounts them.

Its more likely to be urine stained with food, if they eat too many dandelions or carrots for example, urine can go VERY dark orange.

A rabbit savvy vet would know that, so i'd advise your friend finds another vet.

I think here that perhaps the rabbit needs treatment and fast.It may be pyemetra or something just as ghastly.

Is your collegue certain it is blood? You can test it out by mopping a bit up with kitchen roll. If it clots it's blood, urine doesn't clot, it just dries.

I'm horrified that the vet said that.

I think your husband's colleague should find a rabbit-savvy vet and take her rabbit for a check-up as soon as possible.

Is your collegue certain it is blood? You can test it out by mopping a bit up with kitchen roll. If it clots it's blood, urine doesn't clot, it just dries.

He just said there was blood. I will ask hubby to pass on this info too.

I'm horrified that the vet said that.

I think your friend should find a rabbit-savy vet and take her rabbit for a check-up as soon as possible.

I know it is scary. Our old vet wasn't great although we didnt know any better! Have a wonderful vet now though!

as others have said no they cannot, do they use same vets as you or a different vet, maybe seeing a rabbit savvy one it not may be better

They do live near us. Our vet is about a 40 min drive from our house but if they care enough they should go lol. Think hubby is getting annoyed that i'm interfering!

Hmm a period is highly unlikely tbh. It could be pigmented urine or real blood passed due an internal illness such as pyometra or cancer. I'd also recommend changing vets asap. Also you can get multi stixs urine testers which can be kept at home and would determine whether it was true blood that was passed or urine high in carotene.

One of my buns ALWAYS has red wee. And I mean, bright red. Scared me at first but she's been fine for the last 3 months so I think everything is normal!

My boy's is always like.. magnolia? haha. Very boring.

I would advise them to take the bun to another vet for a thorough check over ASAP and to write to the other vet and ask for a refund! It could be something as simple as red pigmented wee, but in an unspayed doe it could also be a sign of something going horribly wrong in the womb - blood emerging from there should be taken very seriously, so should definitely be checked by a vet who knows one end of a rabbit from another.

Good luck xxx

Back