• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How are your rabbits with babies/young children? Tips to everyone being happy wanted!

MrsBinky

Warren Scout
Hi all,
Son is 4months old and looks ready to start crawling, he's noticed Large Fluffy Things.
They've groomed him & seem to be happy that there is a small attention grabbing noise machine in the home.

How do (house) rabbits cope with something crawling about & getting in their face?
Rolo has had a few whacks in the face where son is swinging his arms and seems to accept it.

Is there anything we can do to insure everyone gets along, or will they just need to be out at different times?
Will Leela (female rabbit) ever try to *ahem* hump him like she humps Rolo?

I've tried a search...but all I can throw up is threads about baby rabbits :lol:

TIA

Ginger bites (mainly nips, but a couple of times, proper bunny BITES) them.

Biscuit runs away from them.

Personally, i dont think small children and rabbits mix.

It's not fair for the rabbit to be accidentally wacked by human baby and likewise, i know my rabbit has jumped and thumped at the same time and clonked my daughter. (She's 15 so takes it better than a toddler could).

I hope this is coming across ok but my rabbits are here because the owner of my first one has a toddler and she didnt want her daughter eating stray poops and terrorising the rabbit ad she was becoming more and more mobile! She was trying to give 'free time' to both daughter and rabbit and the daughter often won making it a miserable locked up life for Lucky. I'm sure there is a work around for it though. :)

None of the rabbits i've ever had have been cuddle bunnies - but that's because i've never attempted to make them that way (i just let them tell me what they want :lol: ).

I think if you are going to let them mix then they need extra careful supervision. :thumb:

Personally, i dont think small children and rabbits mix.

It's not fair for the rabbit to be accidentally wacked by human baby and likewise, i know my rabbit has jumped and thumped at the same time and clonked my daughter. (She's 15 so takes it better than a toddler could).

I hope this is coming across ok but my rabbits are here because the owner of my first one has a toddler and she didnt want her daughter eating stray poops and terrorising the rabbit ad she was becoming more and more mobile! She was trying to give 'free time' to both daughter and rabbit and the daughter often won making it a miserable locked up life for Lucky. I'm sure there is a work around for it though. :)

None of the rabbits i've ever had have been cuddle bunnies - but that's because i've never attempted to make them that way (i just let them tell me what they want :lol: ).

I think if you are going to let them mix then they need extra careful supervision. :thumb:

I agree. Perhaps you could provide a nice ennviironment for them outside where they will be safe .

Charlie doesn't mind kids, Milly hates them to the point that she won't even take food off them!

I never let them out around children though, I can't trust kids with rabbits or rabbits with kids... Through the bars and supervised only

In all honesty... We've been ok here with house buns and toddlers!

It's all about teaching baby... Say a firm 'no' if he goes to grab bunnies. As he keeps growing, just reinforce that bunnies are fragile and he needs to be extra careful.

I tended to keep Phoebe and bunnies seperate. A big bunny pen for during the day worked wonders and meant that the bunnies and Phoebe had seperate areas so everyone could be happy. Phoebe could watch them without grabbing or annoying them.

She's almost 4 now and is perfect with everyone. The poor cat gets a few shouting's at to 'go away' from Pheebs but that's because our cat wasn't used to children and lunged at Pheebs no matter what she did - even if she wasn't going near her! We're working on that though and it's getting much better. Phoebe knows that Violet just gets scared so just stays away from her when she's in a grumpy mood :)

Back