• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just in case anyone is interested- Hay Monster's spine x-rays- scoliosis

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
The top one shows his slipped discs and is taken with him laying on his side. The gaps in the vertabrae are found below the blue 'dots' and, as you can see, those are very clear. The ones inside the red square are very blurry which is why the vet thinks they are slipped.

The second one shows his spine from above. His spine shoud go from where the blue dots are, and his pelvis (near the bottom blue dots) should be square. You can see his spine takes a detour via the red elipse, which it shouldn't.

Thankfully his spine is curved at the level it should be, it is just in the wrong positiion, as opposed to going up and down as well as sideways, which is when it can compress on organs. Vickie (the nurse) said it (being HMs) was a very severe scoliosis for a rabbit.

I have also put the originals (or my photos of the originals, please ignore the blurry bits which are specks in my camera lens) at the bottom of this.

HayMonsterx-raytranslation2.jpg

HayMonstersx-raytranslation.jpg

These are the originals

20120425_35.jpg

20120425_36.jpg

Last edited:
BBs is very similar.His goes side to side,snaking.
He doesnt binky or periscope.

I sympathise.

Do you know of any of his siblings???
Chances are they have the same, like Lily and BB.
xrays3.png

He had a fall at 9 weeks old which probably didnt help......

Thanks guys. It's useful for me to know his condition to give me more insight into what he may need.

Yvette, I still have one of his brothers here and he shows no signs. Another one of his brothers showed no signs last time I saw him (which was after Hay Monster started showing signs- hindsight tells us that). His other three brothers were transferred to another RSPCA so I have no idea about them, sadly.

Kitty, he won't ever recover from the scoliosis. The slipped discs, however, it depends on what's caused it. If it is the scoliosis itself, then no, probably not, but if it's something else, then he may recover from those.

Currently, I'm not focusing on anything long term, just focusing on making each day as good and comfortable for him as possible. The fact he loves Ella's Kitchen babyfood helps immensely!

Last edited:
How old is he,Sky-O?? BB is 3 yrs and 5 months.

He'll be two at the End of May/Start of June kind of time. Can't help but wonder if the fact he got really overweight has helped hurry this along and made it harder for him.

I have found that with Lily if she went over a certain weight she would fall over quite frequently.

With BB I observed that he doesnt binky or perisc0pe but he can walk like a hedgehog..walking instead of hopping.
He does hop, and he can go up and down stairs but cant jump.

What about HMs mobility?? How is it??

BB has regular checks at the vets.....watched a fair bit by myself for any problems.

BBs is very similar.His goes side to side,snaking.
He doesnt binky or periscope.

I sympathise.

Do you know of any of his siblings???
Chances are they have the same, like Lily and BB.

My sister has his brother.

I can say he has been doing plenty of binkies, but he's in the best hands if anything does start to go awry.

The x-rays are really interesting, I just wish they didn't mean a bun was suffering. Thank goodness he has made it back to you for such an in depth look at what is wrong. If things are going to get at all better for him he is in the right hands to make it happen.

I am glad you posted these. I am thinking of getting Mimzy xrayed soon to check on the progression of his hip spur and spondylosis and to see if perhaps he has scoliosis as he almost constantly naps on his belly, never flopped, and he has been curling himself into a 'C' shape for almost a year now.
I didn't think bunnies could acquire such painful spinal conditions. :(
Many vibes for Hay Monster that he may have more good days than bad. (((((((((((HM))))))))))))

Hugs for you Sky and monster nose rubs for Gray Monster.

His poor spine :( Another bun with a poorly body :(

Back