• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fatality rates of a rectal prolapse?

Glacies

New Kit
Hey,
I got two 4 week old lionhead rabbits yesterday. This morning, one of them had a small red protrusion on his bottom (don't know the right word). My mum told me that it might be normal (we just thought the rabbit might be male - too young to know) and that it would be okay.
Long story short, when my mum picked me up from school, she brought both the rabbits with us to take them to the vets right after. I didn't pick him up - I'm really squeamish an it was upsetting enough - but it looked horrible even from where I was, like his bottom was covered in blood. I'm not sure how bad it was. It might just have been a bit. My eyesights quite bad.
The vets told us he had a rectal prolapse. Tey were going to push it back in. They're staying overnight (there's nothing wrong with the other one, it's just for comfort) as they close at 5.

I just want to know what the chances of him surviving are. We got him to the vets in ~6 hours but that feels like quite a long time. I've googled it but there aren't any answers on this. He didn't look discoloure or anything.

What are the chances of him being okay after this? And the chances of it happening again? Would he definitely die if it happened again or would he have similar chances? Can it be fixed when he's older and bigger?

Thank you.

Just a note - I know 4 weeks is too young to be away from his mum but it was accidental. The people who own him basically let their rabbits do their own thing outside. They do look after them though of course. They had too many and sold a lot of the rabbits at the market, then found 5 little 4 week old rabbits who's parents they already sold. They basically gave them away to people they know.

Sorry, just one more thing - does anybody know how to help prevent this happening again? With the poorly one and the healthy one. We're going to change their food to pellets, which the vet recommended. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about it, but just wanted to send vibes for your little one x

With a Kit that young I would want to consider coccidiosis as being a possible cause of the prolapsed rectum. Hopefully your Vet will address this too.

It does sound as though the Kit is in a critical condition and I hope the Vet can save him/her.

2 of mine had rectal prolapses when they were young (rescued them at 8 weeks) and they are both 18months old now and are fine. Being so young I would take them to a very rabbit savvy vet as it is quite rare, my vet wanted to put them to sleep, but luckily I worked there and my head nurse and I pushed for treatment. But get them to a really good vet, get all tests done. It will probably be quite expensive to fix if the reason for the prolapse is treatable. Try searching for exotic vets on google.

Back