• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about neutering....

R.P.B.G.G

Mama Doe
As you may know I have 7 buns, All were acquired around the same time for a number of different reasons (started with 2 and the rest seems to hop there way in :D)

Each bun have very different characters and are all loved very much, even the grumpy ones that tear your arms to ribbons :lol:

They are all between 6 and 9 months, we waited for them to settle, had a few illnesses and accidents so waited until the spring to get them neutered (they are all outdoor buns)

Its coming to the time now where we are going to start booking them all in to be neutered, and Im petrified about losing them.

Ive read many stories on here (and generally the bad ones stick with you)

A local pets is doing a special on neutering all April £20 for males and £35 for females, We have 2 males and 5 females.
Promotions

April Promotion - Neutering for your furry friend

Please get your fabulous furry friend neutered - Be amazed at our prices and delighted with our care. We are here to help you every step of the way by being up to 60% lower in price than other vets with absolutely no compromise on care.

April is our special month for promoting the neutering of all rabbits, guinea pigs and ferrets.
To make this easier for you, we have further reduced our already LOW costs for neutering of small furries, for the entire month of April!

Our extra special neutering prices during April for you are:

* Mr Rabbit - £20
* Mrs Rabbit - £35
* Mr Guinea Pig - £30
* Mr Ferret - £15
* Mrs Ferret - £30
* Price for castration, Mr Ferret vasectomy - £30

We offer neutering every weekday at ************, and it really is so easy to organise. All you need to do is to call your local ************ clinic, book in your furry friend for a day convenient to you and bring them along at the arranged time! All small furries can be neutered from 3-4 months of age. Neutering requires a general anaesthetic, which means leaving your pet with us for the day, but returning home to you that same evening for some more TLC!

Having your small furry neutered is one of the most important steps you can take to help your pet enjoy a happy, healthy and long life. It helps to prevent both health and behaviour issues that can become problematic, so it really is a kind thing to do for your pet.

I know that its more detrimental to there health not to be neutered and we desperately want to start pairing these up (2 females currently live together and get on fine, we decided it was more stressful to split them (they have been together since we got them and rarely fight, they groom each other daily. happily eat together share any treats, Ive never seen any malicious behaviour from them)

Any advise, help, stories????

Story: My 2 girls were spayed last November. No problems; sailed through anaesthetic, woke up fine, were a bit lethargic for first 24 hours but ate okay and then the following day ate like normal. Mine drink from a bottle but managed alright, though occasionally I'd take the bottle to them which they seemed grateful for. Medicine afterwards; Coco sucked it out of the dosing tube but Thumper didn't like it so I very, very slowly dripped it onto a few (not many) pellets and then added some non-treated pellets and she ate them all up. No problems with wound site/scar, hair/fur all grown back. Cost £80 EACH!

Advice: ask the vet if you have to starve the rabbits before the op. The answer should be a resounding NO. Bunnies eat until they're knocked out and are encouraged to eat as soon as they wake.

:D

My four were fine too with neutering/spaying. All woke up fine, the boys seemed to be the best at eating after the opp the girls needed more time as they were pretty sore but they were all eating by the time I went to bed that night. I kept all of them indoors until I was happy they were all comfy and back to normal :D

I've had about 30 rabbits neutered, boys and girls, in the last 9 months or so and everyone has been fine..Boys recover faster than girls. But I know what you mean. I have a beautiful lionhead girl 4 yrs plus. I've had her a year now and was asking the vet nurse about her the other day and she told me there is no more to worry about than all the others. She's just so sspecial though! And I was told the little boy where she used to live would kick her! I must be brave and get her done. Good luck.

I was very worried when my wee girl went in for her spay. Afterwards, she was drowsy and the vet didn't give me any pain killers away (I phoned and they said I'd have to take her down to the vets- the day after the op!) so she was in a bit of pain. I regret not discussing post-op drugs with them, but at the time I didn't know any better.

She is absolutely fine now though and so much happier cos she has a boyfriend!
x

Im so glad someone feels like me!!!
Our little boy is a year old now and humping everything and we want to rescue him a girly bun (after hes done) so must get him neutered, im just such a worrier and we love him sooooooo much! Ive spent nearly all day everyday with him for past month as ive been in doing all my uni work (hes a house bun) so the day he has to go in is going to be so hard! :cry: Luckily we have just found a wonderful rabbit savvy vet - the first out of 3 i actually trust my bunny with!
I think we need to remember the advantages far out weigh the tiny risks involved.
Best of luck :wave:

The 'problem' with sites like this is that we are far more likely to hear about the occasional, but still very tragic, loss of a bun while being neutered...whereas the reality is that hundreds of rabbits are neutered daily around the UK and the risks are actually incredibly low. Many rescues can go from year to year without a single death of a rescue bun while being neutered.

I'm in two minds about the special offer - on the one hand they are presumably competent at exotic small animal neuters to be offering those sorts of procedures (many vets won't neuter male guinea pigs, for instance, because the risks of anaesthetic seem to be much higher), but on the other hand, I worry that they might 'cut corners' by offering it so cheaply. Of course they might be doing everything absolutely tickety-boo including pain relief, appropriate anaesthetic induction etc, and just accepting it as a loss leader to get new clients, but if I were you I would be ringing to check exactly what the protocol/drugs are for this procedure before booking them in there.

Expensive doesn't always mean competent and cheap doesn't always mean bad where vets are concerned, but this is so cheap that I would definitely want to check that they are using appropriate drugs etc first.

Good luck - of course it's a worry, we all worry about our little ones when they go to the vets, but really the risks are very small in the hands of a competent vet using good procedures xx

Back