• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

EC treatment advice please

heidiw

New Kit
Hiya Just wondering if anyone could help me or has any advice,

I have 3 rabbits who i suspect have EC, i gave them the Beaphar spot on treatment for rabbits, but have now found out about panacur and its success.

just wondered would it be safe for my rabbits to have a treatment of panacur after having the beaphar?

thanks

Hiya Just wondering if anyone could help me or has any advice,

I have 3 rabbits who i suspect have EC, i gave them the Beaphar spot on treatment for rabbits, but have now found out about panacur and its success.

just wondered would it be safe for my rabbits to have a treatment of panacur after having the beaphar?

Hi, you should start a new thread on this as it won't get seen here by many people :wave:
Have your rabbits seen a vet? If not then they definitely need to if you suspect EC. Spot On only treats external parasites and EC is caused by an internal parasite, so that won't have done anything to help I'm afraid. It should be fine to go ahead with panacur, the sooner the better, but you definitely need to take them to the vet as they will need other medication too and a veterinary opinion. Good luck x

Hello,

Yes one of them was examined because of a head tilt and the vet gave me some panacur and antibiotics, he also said treat the others with panacur too so was just checking because they had already had the wormer. :)

does anyone know the chances of them surviving EC, very worried about them because the vet said it does most of the time prove fatal.

Hello,

Yes one of them was examined because of a head tilt and the vet gave me some panacur and antibiotics, he also said treat the others with panacur too so was just checking because they had already had the wormer. :)

does anyone know the chances of them surviving EC, very worried about them because the vet said it does most of the time prove fatal.

I'd add to that- plenty of rest and no stressful changes to their environment.

We have two with EC here- and with headtilt that have recovered fine. They still have tilted heads- but get around fine. The other bunnies showing no symptoms were given panacur for 28 days as a precaution.

Our buns had panacur, antibiotics, pain relief and steroid injections as prescribed by our vets.

Good luck with nursing your buns & lots of vibes for them!

~Jane

I have a bunny which has survived ec.
He still has a head tilt and rolls due to dizziness so he lives inside so I can monitor him daily.
We live day to day and take nothing for granted with George.
He still is on metaclopramide for dizziness and panacur and metacam and it's been 10 weeks now.
He will always have the tilt and can only walk on carpet in large areas as he is claustrophobic now too. So he cant go into his hutch with his partner and he cant use litter trays so he uses puppy pads So he's free ranges on the rugs in the living room wih the cat dogs and kids! George won't even sit upright in a crate pet carrier or when we go to the vet. My vet came to my house to see what his walking was like here.....and it's fine on rugs. :)
He was treated with depocilin injections, metacam, panacur, metoclopramide.

Hope ur bunny is ok. Focus on the positives.

thanks for the advice it's much appreciated!!

at the moment my rabbit's head tilt is only slight so hoping it won't get much worse.

I have disinfected the hutches, food bowls and water bottles just wondering if there is anything else I can do?

Also how long would you recommend they are given panacur for? because if so im going to buy some more online because it is cheaper :D

thanks again for everyones advice and hope your bunnies are okay too!!

Panacur for 28days for bun with suspected EC 9 for the others.

I have an EC bun, It was horrible to go through, he did go down hill further even with treatment, but hes still here over 6 months later and one of my most lively buns with a wonky head :D

Id suggest maybe doing some research as it doesnt seem your vet has adviced you very well.

My bun was treated with Panacur, Baytril (antibiotic) and metacam (anti inflam) for a number of weeks before he fully recovered.

Metacam is a must. It is an anti inflamatory that helps to reduce the impact of the lesions on the brain caused by the parasite (EC). It may be useful if you could say where you are so that people here could give you some suggestions of a much more rabbit savvy vet.

EC is often fatal in rabbits because they don't have the right treatment and it's a long process, not because it is untreatable.

Buns go on to have happy healthy lives after EC. My girl bun Buttercup is two years down the line after having severe EC - she was treated by a wonderful rabbit savvy vet in Gloucester. Other people here have great EC bun success stories too. Your best way forward is a rabbit savvy vet.

Good luck :wave:

You mention that you have discinfectanted the area, with EC you need to thoroughly disinfect the area and anything which they have used or been in to clear it of ec spores during that time - particularly on days 21 and 28. So if you use a grassed area, you should move it on day 21 and day 28 and not use that patch again for at least 6 more weeks to ensure that the spores have died off.

Do ensure that your discinfectant kills the EC spores as many of them available do not.

I am now 3 weeks in to a course of treatment for mine. I am being over cautious and doing weekly discinfectants incluidng soaking carpet tiles in bleach. These will be thrown and new ones put in at the end of their medication treatment.

If you are using a hutch which is bare wood it is worth considering lining it with a sheet of lino as it makes it much easier to clean and the spores cannot hide in the cracks in the wood.

Back