• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D both buns much better! :o)

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Olly and Honey have been moulting lots for ages, almost constantly, as they are indoor buns :( today Olly has been going mad for cardboard and I have to keep taking it off him. I believe craving cardboard is their way of getting more fibre to speed up the gut, to get the fur they've ingested moving. Is that right? He has access to loads of hay, and has been eating some. He only ate half of his teatime pellets, and doesn't want his supper of spring greens and basil. He ate some dandelions at teatime after he left some of his pellets, as I've read that they and bramble leaves are good in thus situation. But I don't have a clue where to look for bramble leaves :(
He obviously needs to poop but isn't succeeding at the moment. If he still hasn't by the morning I'll take them to the vets, but is there anything else I can do now? He has been drinking a little. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Hi,

Just bumping for you...I think put urgent help needed in the title as its really bad...poor Ollie:(

Im sure youre right in the cardboard eating is needing more fibre....and yes bramble leaves would be great....you could also try hawthorn but slowly as the new leaves are quite rich at this time of year.

Are there not any wooded area's or fields near you? often brambles grow all over....

You could try fresh apple branches too...

but like you say...it might be a vet visit before youve managed to get these bits for him to try...

Has he wee'd at all?

sending vibes xxx

Sorry I missed this last night

It sounds as though he may have an impacted cecum. I would definitely get him to the Vet this morning as a 'hands on' examination is needed

Good luck

Thanks Jane, he is still bright and running round this morning, just had a little drink, no sign of any major poops though. I will ring the vets when they open. Could you tell me, if he does have an impacted caecum would they be able to tell just by feeling? And what should he be given for it if he does? Thanks :wave:

He has just had a good munch in the litter tray and done some poops! There were also some caeacotrophs attached to normal poops but not sure whether they were his or Honeys... He's now eating his breakfast SS pellets. Will keep you updated but he's definitely looking better :D

Thanks Jane, he is still bright and running round this morning, just had a little drink, no sign of any major poops though. I will ring the vets when they open. Could you tell me, if he does have an impacted caecum would they be able to tell just by feeling? And what should he be given for it if he does? Thanks :wave:

A cecal impaction can be felt by palpating the abdomen. Treatment would depend on what other findings the Vet makes, but would usually involve aggressive fluid therapy (SQ and oral) along with an osmotic laxative( Lactulose) and prokinetics. Pain relief too.

Encouraging fibre intake and allowing LOTS of exercise would be important too.

I personally steer well clear of the more old fashioned treatments which can include giving Pineapple Juice and/or Liquid Paraffin. Many Rabbit savvy Vets believe that both may do more harm than good. The Pineapple Juice contains lots of sugar, this can lead to problems with dysbiosis. The LP will just coat an impaction with oil thus making it impossible to rehydrate it with fluid therapy.

Back from vets, we were in there nearly an hour!! The vet said there was no sign of an impaction or a blockage, and was just going to give Olly some metacam. But then he listened to his guts and said there was no movement whatsoever :( so he gave him SC fluids, metoclopramide, metacam and baytril for a possible UTI. I've to see how he is tomorrow and take him back if still not pooping right.
Honey had slow guts too, although there was some movement in hers. She also had metoclopramide and she had her lady garden shaved to help her out a bit, as she was struggling to clean herself properly.
Can mg babies please have some pooping vibes?

Thank you :wave: Olly has done 3 droppings :) better than nothing!!! He is refusing fenugreek crunchies but eating bits of hay and had some dandelions. They are both still after paper/card. Olly has been eating his water hyacinth tunnel (well what is left of it!).

Thank you :wave: Olly has done 3 droppings :) better than nothing!!! He is refusing fenugreek crunchies but eating bits of hay and had some dandelions. They are both still after paper/card. Olly has been eating his water hyacinth tunnel (well what is left of it!).

I'd remove all items of cardboard/paper etc. Is he drinking ? Maximising his fluid intake is important, so I'd use water bowls rather than bottles (if you dont already) and also offer Veg treats rather than FG crunchies.

Fluids, fibre and exercise are the issues to work on with him now that he has received the appropriate meds

Hope he will soon be better xx

Hi Jane, thanks for taking the time to advise me when you obviously have a lot of worry with your own buns at the moment. I really appreciate it :wave:
I will remove all cardboard boxes now. I don't know what to replace them with though, as they sleep under one of the boxes, it's their safe place :(
Olly was drinking fine this morning, but I don't think he's had any since we came back (they don't normally drink in the middle of the day though). He had some wet dandelions, I will give him some more of those. He has been munching some hay too, I keep sticking it under his nose!
Thank goodness I'm off work this week! :roll:

Somebun has done a lovely pile of poops in the litter tray! :D I suspect it is Honey as she wasn't as bad as Olly. But it's lovely to see poops! :D They've both just been nomming an apple twig each :D

Olly has eaten most of his tea and done about 12 droppings in the litter tray :D They are both still not right though. They need some more RU vibes please! :wave:

Thanks for the vibes folks, I think they've worked! :D both bunsters are loads better now, normal pooping has pretty much resumed :D they've been munching hay and apple sticks and been drinking too :D Olly in particular is so relieved, you can see it in his little face, he's so much more relaxed and enjoys being stroked again instead of running off. And I'm so relieved too! When they're ok I'm ok :D

Olly and Honey have just gobbled up their supper of spring greens, parsley and basil in record time! :D its so lovely to see them enjoying their food again :D
Thanks to the three of you who sent vibes our way xxx

Back