PDA

View Full Version : U/D both buns much better! :o)

ripminnie
24-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Olly and Honey have been moulting lots for ages, almost constantly, as they are indoor buns :( today Olly has been going mad for cardboard and I have to keep taking it off him. I believe craving cardboard is their way of getting more fibre to speed up the gut, to get the fur they've ingested moving. Is that right? He has access to loads of hay, and has been eating some. He only ate half of his teatime pellets, and doesn't want his supper of spring greens and basil. He ate some dandelions at teatime after he left some of his pellets, as I've read that they and bramble leaves are good in thus situation. But I don't have a clue where to look for bramble leaves :(
He obviously needs to poop but isn't succeeding at the moment. If he still hasn't by the morning I'll take them to the vets, but is there anything else I can do now? He has been drinking a little. Thanks for any advice.

chelle
25-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Hi,

Just bumping for you...I think put urgent help needed in the title as its really bad...poor Ollie:(

Im sure youre right in the cardboard eating is needing more fibre....and yes bramble leaves would be great....you could also try hawthorn but slowly as the new leaves are quite rich at this time of year.

Are there not any wooded area's or fields near you? often brambles grow all over....

You could try fresh apple branches too...

but like you say...it might be a vet visit before youve managed to get these bits for him to try...

Has he wee'd at all?

sending vibes xxx

Jack's-Jane
25-04-2012, 06:30 AM
Sorry I missed this last night

It sounds as though he may have an impacted cecum. I would definitely get him to the Vet this morning as a 'hands on' examination is needed

Good luck

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Thanks Jane, he is still bright and running round this morning, just had a little drink, no sign of any major poops though. I will ring the vets when they open. Could you tell me, if he does have an impacted caecum would they be able to tell just by feeling? And what should he be given for it if he does? Thanks :wave:

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 07:41 AM
He has just had a good munch in the litter tray and done some poops! There were also some caeacotrophs attached to normal poops but not sure whether they were his or Honeys... He's now eating his breakfast SS pellets. Will keep you updated but he's definitely looking better :D

Jack's-Jane
25-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Thanks Jane, he is still bright and running round this morning, just had a little drink, no sign of any major poops though. I will ring the vets when they open. Could you tell me, if he does have an impacted caecum would they be able to tell just by feeling? And what should he be given for it if he does? Thanks :wave:

A cecal impaction can be felt by palpating the abdomen. Treatment would depend on what other findings the Vet makes, but would usually involve aggressive fluid therapy (SQ and oral) along with an osmotic laxative( Lactulose) and prokinetics. Pain relief too.

Encouraging fibre intake and allowing LOTS of exercise would be important too.

I personally steer well clear of the more old fashioned treatments which can include giving Pineapple Juice and/or Liquid Paraffin. Many Rabbit savvy Vets believe that both may do more harm than good. The Pineapple Juice contains lots of sugar, this can lead to problems with dysbiosis. The LP will just coat an impaction with oil thus making it impossible to rehydrate it with fluid therapy.

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Got an appointment at 9.10, it's a nightmare trying to get them both in the carrier, dreading it! :(

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Back from vets, we were in there nearly an hour!! The vet said there was no sign of an impaction or a blockage, and was just going to give Olly some metacam. But then he listened to his guts and said there was no movement whatsoever :( so he gave him SC fluids, metoclopramide, metacam and baytril for a possible UTI. I've to see how he is tomorrow and take him back if still not pooping right.
Honey had slow guts too, although there was some movement in hers. She also had metoclopramide and she had her lady garden shaved to help her out a bit, as she was struggling to clean herself properly.
Can mg babies please have some pooping vibes?

Captain Helen
25-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Hope the drugs start to work soon. Sending lots of vibes for Olly and Honey xx

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 12:09 PM
Thank you :wave: Olly has done 3 droppings :) better than nothing!!! He is refusing fenugreek crunchies but eating bits of hay and had some dandelions. They are both still after paper/card. Olly has been eating his water hyacinth tunnel (well what is left of it!).

Jack's-Jane
25-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Thank you :wave: Olly has done 3 droppings :) better than nothing!!! He is refusing fenugreek crunchies but eating bits of hay and had some dandelions. They are both still after paper/card. Olly has been eating his water hyacinth tunnel (well what is left of it!).

I'd remove all items of cardboard/paper etc. Is he drinking ? Maximising his fluid intake is important, so I'd use water bowls rather than bottles (if you dont already) and also offer Veg treats rather than FG crunchies.

Fluids, fibre and exercise are the issues to work on with him now that he has received the appropriate meds

Hope he will soon be better xx

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Hi Jane, thanks for taking the time to advise me when you obviously have a lot of worry with your own buns at the moment. I really appreciate it :wave:
I will remove all cardboard boxes now. I don't know what to replace them with though, as they sleep under one of the boxes, it's their safe place :(
Olly was drinking fine this morning, but I don't think he's had any since we came back (they don't normally drink in the middle of the day though). He had some wet dandelions, I will give him some more of those. He has been munching some hay too, I keep sticking it under his nose!
Thank goodness I'm off work this week! :roll:

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Somebun has done a lovely pile of poops in the litter tray! :D I suspect it is Honey as she wasn't as bad as Olly. But it's lovely to see poops! :D They've both just been nomming an apple twig each :D

Jack's-Jane
25-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Somebun has done a lovely pile of poops in the litter tray! :D I suspect it is Honey as she wasn't as bad as Olly. But it's lovely to see poops! :D They've both just been nomming an apple twig each :D

Great news. Hopefully Olly will oblige soon xx

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Olly has eaten most of his tea and done about 12 droppings in the litter tray :D They are both still not right though. They need some more RU vibes please! :wave:

chelle
25-04-2012, 07:49 PM
huge vibes coming your way xxx

Jack's-Jane
25-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Come on Bunsters, get back to your normal selves pronto xx

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the vibes folks, I think they've worked! :D both bunsters are loads better now, normal pooping has pretty much resumed :D they've been munching hay and apple sticks and been drinking too :D Olly in particular is so relieved, you can see it in his little face, he's so much more relaxed and enjoys being stroked again instead of running off. And I'm so relieved too! When they're ok I'm ok :D

ripminnie
25-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Olly and Honey have just gobbled up their supper of spring greens, parsley and basil in record time! :D its so lovely to see them enjoying their food again :D
Thanks to the three of you who sent vibes our way xxx

Barn Yard Bunnies
26-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Glad Ollie is well. xxx

Babsie
26-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Olly and Honey have just gobbled up their supper of spring greens, parsley and basil in record time! :D its so lovely to see them enjoying their food again :D
Thanks to the three of you who sent vibes our way xxx

That's good news!

Jack's-Jane
26-04-2012, 08:16 AM
So pleased to hear that they are much better :D

GrahamL
26-04-2012, 08:18 AM
How did i not see this? :shock:

Keep nomming guys!

Bluesmum
26-04-2012, 09:05 AM
Sorry I missed this :oops:
We have had stasis this week too...if you're giving metacam/clop at home then I usually continue giving it to them for about 3-4 days after they start eating properly again.
Dandilions can act as a dieretic (spelling? increases urination) so I would perhaps limit the amount youre giving them if they're struggling with dehydration.
Hope they keep on the up :D

Anniebirdy
26-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Oh Ripminnie, I am soooo sorry I hadn't seen this, I feel so bad :( Please forgive me.
Am so glad they're gobbling up their food, and am sending so many vibes so that their little fuzzy butts produce piles of poops that will make you want to dance with joy :love:
Come on dear little bunnies, push those precious poops out for your mummy!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

sparklefairy
26-04-2012, 09:50 AM
I missed this too :( Glad they are feeling a bit better :D long may that continue Xxx

megansmummy
26-04-2012, 09:59 AM
So glad there is some improvement!! fingers crossed it carries on! xxx

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys, that means a lot :)
Olly and Honey are still eating and pooping, although we had a slight setback this morning :( I went to let them out of their room at 7.15, and it was total carnage! :shock:
They had knocked down a panel in a corner of their room, behind which were some bags of different hay/readigrass. The bags were strewn around the room, there was a hole nibbled in the readigrass bag and obviously some readigrass had been eaten, along with part of the missing bag ( only a tiny bit, but enough to worry me!) they haven't had readigrass for a month or two as it was causing messy bums :roll:
Honey didn't want her breakfast pellets but was very lively as usual. Olly ate most of his then stopped as he was wondering why Honey wasn't eating too. They both had a bit of hay, then eventually Honey ate her pellets (maybe she was full :?)

I am keeping a very close eye on them today but they are not eating as much hay as I would like. Honey has just been doing bunny 500's so must be feeling ok. I'm not sure what to do with them really! :?

susie bun
26-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Goodness, what a worrying time you have had. I've not been around much recently, but sending belated vibes their way. xxx

Jack's-Jane
26-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys, that means a lot :)
Olly and Honey are still eating and pooping, although we had a slight setback this morning :( I went to let them out of their room at 7.15, and it was total carnage! :shock:
They had knocked down a panel in a corner of their room, behind which were some bags of different hay/readigrass. The bags were strewn around the room, there was a hole nibbled in the readigrass bag and obviously some readigrass had been eaten, along with part of the missing bag ( only a tiny bit, but enough to worry me!) they haven't had readigrass for a month or two as it was causing messy bums :roll:
Honey didn't want her breakfast pellets but was very lively as usual. Olly ate most of his then stopped as he was wondering why Honey wasn't eating too. They both had a bit of hay, then eventually Honey ate her pellets (maybe she was full :?)

I am keeping a very close eye on them today but they are not eating as much hay as I would like. Honey has just been doing bunny 500's so must be feeling ok. I'm not sure what to do with them really! :?

I'd say that Honey most likely was not hungry after her midnight feast !!

It can take a few days for gut motility to return to normal. So keeping up with the fluids/fibre/exercise should help a lot :D

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I'd say that Honey most likely was not hungry after her midnight feast !!

It can take a few days for gut motility to return to normal. So keeping up with the fluids/fibre/exercise should help a lot :D

Thanks Jane, yes that's what I'm thinking! Naughty bunnies! :roll:
They tend to sleep for most of the day and get up at teatime, they have a large room to themselves and also access to the landing and another bedroom, so plenty of space to run around :)
I keep shoving new hay under their noses to encourage nibbling, and offer them their bowl of water. Sometimes they have a drink, sometimes they shove the bowl back at me and it goes everywhere :lol: I think they're getting sick of me now! :lol:

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Well Olly seems to be getting back to his normal self, but Honey isn't so great :( and I only really took them to the vets because of Olly! Honey was ok :( she doesn't look very happy, she took a crunchie off me but only ate a bit of it. She ate a big dandelion leaf after that though. God these bunnies worry me so much! :(

GrahamL
26-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Well Olly seems to be getting back to his normal self, but Honey isn't so great :( and I only really took them to the vets because of Olly! Honey was ok :( she doesn't look very happy, she took a crunchie off me but only ate a bit of it. She ate a big dandelion leaf after that though. God these bunnies worry me so much! :(

If possible, i'd really stop with the dandelions and crunchies unless you are testing for any eating at all. Both are stopping their guts from absorbing all the fluids it can.

Push hay and water if possible.

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 02:52 PM
If possible, i'd really stop with the dandelions and crunchies unless you are testing for any eating at all. Both are stopping their guts from absorbing all the fluids it can.

Push hay and water if possible.

Thanks Gray, I'm only giving dandelions as I don't have bramble leaves, they are wet though which should help shouldn't it? :( and I am just wanting to make sure they are still eating! I do keep giving them hay and putting water in front of them but they're generally ignoring it :( I hate this, I really do, I just want them right again!

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Would oat hay be as good as normal hay? They're more likely to eat that...

Barn Yard Bunnies
26-04-2012, 03:06 PM
Mega vibes for Honey. xxx

GrahamL
26-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Would oat hay be as good as normal hay? They're more likely to eat that...

I think, it'd be good to keep their diets as similar as possible for now.

Wet dandelions are almost a contradiction in terms, they'll just stop them taking in water so whilst it may help some, its taking away some of that good. Just what i'd do, thats all :) That said, i rarely feed dandys cos of Ginger.

I udnerstand wanting to make sure they are eating, but some herbs or something would be much better, in my opinion :)

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Ok I'll try it keep it normal :) i'm panicking now though, in case Honey did eat a little piece of the readigrass bag :( how do I know if she has? Will she stop eating altogether? If she needs surgery to open her stomach and then dies i'll never forgive myself :cry:
Can I still give them SS pellets for tea?

Jack's-Jane
26-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Did the Vet check Honey's teeth ?

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Did the Vet check Honey's teeth ?

Yes he checked both of their teeth, they both have little spurs but he couldn't see that they were causing any discomfort, he said to keep more of an eye on Olly than Honey. :(

susie bun
26-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Sending vibes for Honey, and thinking of you. xxx

ripminnie
26-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Thank god!!! :D Honey ate most of her teatime pellets, and Olly ate all his and the rest of Honey's :D since then they have both been munching lots of hay and doing lots of poops :D
I think I've just been a bit paranoid today, I've been worried about them not eating when they never eat during the day anyway! :roll: they do worry us though don't they!?