• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help poorly bunny! :-(

Shelbey94

New Kit
My bunny is 10 years old and for a wee while now has been producing soft stools that have been sticking to her bum and fur, this hasn't been too much of an issue as we have been cleaning it off. However she's now stopped eating out of her food bowl. Sometimes if something she likes is placed on her hay shell eat it but nothing out the bowl. Must stress she got a new bowl a couple of days ago after her one of 10 years breaking and it seems to have happened after that. Should I be worried? What could possibly be wrong?

My bunny is 10 years old and for a wee while now has been producing soft stools that have been sticking to her bum and fur, this hasn't been too much of an issue as we have been cleaning it off. However she's now stopped eating out of her food bowl. Sometimes if something she likes is placed on her hay shell eat it but nothing out the bowl. Must stress she got a new bowl a couple of days ago after her one of 10 years breaking and it seems to have happened after that. Should I be worried? What could possibly be wrong?

She needs to be examined by a Vet. The poo issues and now the not eating all point to a potentially serious problem. Is she moving about OK, drinking and weeing ?

I would get her to a Vet ASAP

It could be dental issues and causing her pain. I agree if a rabbit slows down or stops eating it's quite serious and she should be seen by a vet. I hope she is just being fussy about her bowl but it's always better to be sure. :)

It is probably uneaten cecotrophs. It may be that she has some age related osteoarthritis meaning eating her cecotrophs is uncomfortable for her. Pain may be stopping her from eating as much food. So as I said, she needs to be examined by a Vet to establish what is wrong and obtain the appropriate treatment.

I was thinking it could be dental Aswell as when I was checking her today her eye slightly weeped! I've felt around though there doesn't appear to be any signs of an abscess. How can I tell if her molars are possibly too big?

I was thinking it could be dental Aswell as when I was checking her today her eye slightly weeped! I've felt around though there doesn't appear to be any signs of an abscess. How can I tell if her molars are possibly too big?

You need a otoscope, one of those things that looks in ears and stuff. But it's not very easy, even a qualified vet can't always tell how bad a rabbits teeth are. It's not something I would recommend trying yourself. I would get a vet to, and like Jane said they can check for arthritis as well and give you pain killers if they're needed. :wave:

Take ya bunny to a vet tonight because he will probs stop eating all together and tomorrow maybe too late sending get well Vibes for ya bunny:)

I would definately get her checked out - not eating can be a dangerous issue - my rabbit was fine one day and then the next day she was lethargic and not eating, but still pooing and then then she died that day after taking her to the vet.

If anything, just for peace of mind, I would still recomend taking her.

Back