• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

parlyzed bunny,U/D bunny has passed away today, U/D Bunny cremation.

sunnibunny

Alpha Buck
this afternoon bunny all of a sudden could not walk properly in all his legs but particularly his front legs. he is flopping all over the place and cant stand up. Noticed it straight away and took him to vets. He is still currently there and in the ICU section. They have given him fluids, antibiotics and trying to get his temperature up as it was low. He apparently has perked up a tiny bit with this intervention since i brought him in, but no further change. Im very worried about him, they have not given me an answer yet of what is going on as the vet has been in surgery and he will look at bunny again after surgery on his ward rounds. so waiting for another update. any ideas fellow rabbit owners? im very very worried, as he has not been himself really for 2 weeks, but considered it was his age as he is middle-age and thought so getting fussy what he is eating, but he has continued to wee and poo though. :S I really dont hope i lose him, he is my world.

Last edited:
It's impossible to diagnose from afar but he's in the best place. Bunny illnesses can be very dramatic and it is awful-I do understand. I wish I could wave a magic wand, but know I'm thinking of you. I have been there-it's horrendous, but you have done all you can. I really do hope he's OK.

Did the vet mention EC? It can present itself in different ways.
Has he fell or had an injury?
Or could he have eaten anything toxic?
Very difficult as pp said about diagnosing from afar.

Try to focus on the positives...he is still peeing and pooping.
Hes def in the best place.
sending vibes to you and your wee guy. x

Last edited:
Did your vet mention EC as a possible cause?

As already has been mentioned it is impossible to diagnose without seeing the bunny or knowing any more details.
But EC could be one of many possibilities you may want to discuss with your vet and hopefully rule out as a cause.

Fingers crossed for.you and your rabbit

yes, i did talk about E.cuniculi to the nurse and hence why he is on antibiotics for it. he has not eaten anything toxic, nor has he had a fall as im near my rabbits nearly 24/7 lately, so i notice every detail. thankfully i was there to see it happening, as a few hours later i would have popped out into the city, so glad i was there immediately to take him to the vet. How do people do it when they go to work?!?! im really considering getting webcam CCTV installed and linked to my phone. ;)

they are keeping him warm as his temperature is still too low than they like. went to see him at 6pm just in case if anything happened to him over the night and would at least see him alive if the worst came to worst. his head is all alert and focused, even though he could not move with his legs and so was lying down on, i felt like he was wanting to lick me on my nose, although he didnt, i felt like he was going to or trying to. still never talked to the vet, as they were always busy with surgery but the nurses are looking after him well and the vet definitely checks on him. I know the vet will be coming in the night to see how the animals including my bunny are doing at 3am. its a good vet practice for sure. i know he is in the best place and im doing the best for him. i just hope he does not leave this earth and pulls through. have to ring tomorrow morning, so not muc hsleep for me tonight im afraid. too worried about him. My other rabbit does not seem to notice the loss, and she is completely fine, no odd behaviour or anything.

I would be suspecting EC or an ear infection as likely possibilities as both can drastically affect balance and cause falling over etc. Ec is known for paralysis too.

Just so you know, I dont *think* antibiotics can kill the parasite that causes EC, because its a parasite, but I may be wrong. It is usually treated with panacur or lapizole, but these dont really get rid of it either, I think they just bring it under control a bit.

How is your wee guy this morning?
If they are going to cover all bases and treat for ec then ur bunny needs a course of panacur or similar wormer. My bunny has been treated for ec ad an ear infection and is still on panacur 9-10 weeks on. We used baytril fr a month but we ended up on depocilin injections. My bunny was disorientated and has nystagmus and is still on metaclopramide even now, and also he has daily metacam to help with inflammation.
To e honest I don't think there is any cure for ec. It's more like u have to adapt to the disability it leaves with your bunny.
My bunny is basically disabled and he relies on me to medicate him daily. He has a good quality of life albeit in the noisy environment of my living room with the 3 kids 2 dogs and 1 cat.
George's partner is still in her hutch and is very happy as she hates indoors but George has adapted to life well inside.
I have all fingers crossed for your wee bunny. Its a long hard road but despite 2 vets recommending pts
he is still with us.

This morning, i rang up the vets for bunny's progress. he is still and a bit worse floppy in his legs. today they are starting him on panacur, as apparently yesterday he was too ill to take the panacur. he is now getting his fluids in a drip and gibving him another round of antibiotics and keeping him warm to get his temperature up. thats all the news i have, i am seriously worrying that i will lose him. i really dont want him to go from me. Thank fully my second rabbit leah is fine, but she is getting a round of panacur starting today just in case!!

think it may be my fault as i did not de-worm him enough with panacur. I cant remember how many times i did it last year, and i had not started this year yet. :(

Glad the wee soul has made it to this morning.
That is a positive thing and try stay focused on that.
my rabbits were both wormed 1st nov 2011 and George was diagnosed with ec at the start of February. Do not blame your self. I am the same as u my other rabbit is fine. They were both treated for the full course.
I blamed myself a lot to begin with but I have now realised that it's happened and I need to move on.
George has been so ill like ur bunny that vets have said he would die on many occasions. My vet is fine but locums I seen were very negative and offered no hope. I was told to pts and buy another rabbit. George is about 8 years old so the kids are very attached to him as well as me and hubby. But we just took each hour by hour to begin with, then it became day by day as it still is just now.
I used to sleep on the floor next to George too scared to sleep incase he passed away dying the night...slowly but surely we have plodded on thanks to the help and support of the people on this forum.
I wouldn't have managed without them and George would not be here if it wasn't for them.
If u need support please pm me.
Please keep us updated.
What's the wee guys name?
Leesa.

Just wanted to say, dont blame yourself. The topic of regular worming is contraversial, as far as I know there is no real evidence to suggest that worming healthy rabbits regularly prevents EC, especially when using the short course, and the research on using panacur like this is shaky at best. Many of us do not worm our rabbits if they are perfectly healthy, others worm but only after boarding/a new rabbit is brought into the home, and some people worm regularly. Its not your fault.

Hope your little man improves.

Don't blame yourself! I don't worm my bunnies because it isn't guaranteed to work and stresses them out far too much, just giving them any oral meds is a nightmare.

Sending him lots of vibes!

his name is bunny and is 3 years old. just called vets and the outlook is not good. there still has been no improvement, despite antibiotics, panacur, steroid injections, fluids and other stuff. they said they should have seen an improvement by now, but he is still floppy and is still being force fed. im in absolute agony and in floods of tears. another 24hrs and they start to reccommend being put to sleep.

Has he had an xray? I'm not sure if they have to put them under a GA but it might be worth asking if they'd do it whilst he is awake just to rule out any injuries.

they did mention x-rays as a possibility today, but these vets are very good, there is no pain or discomfort on his spine or anything else. i also know he was happy walking about in the morning, and it happenend ever so suddenly. i know its not needing to have an x-ray. vet would have suuggested it if he thought there was any indication in the beginning as he is very profiicent in rabbits, but frankly he is surprised why nothing is working. he has mentioned floppy rabbit syndrome, where we just dont know why its happenend and on third day now, where we would have hoped for some improvement. this totally sucks and am hating every minute.

I hope everything turns out OK for you, fingers crossed.

He's in the best place and sounds like they are doing all they can for him like you have.

:( I'm so sorry things aren't improving. I would have thought the meds would have done something at least, perhaps it's neurological?

Back