• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Blackberries safe for buns?

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Is the actual fruit safe for bunnies to eat?

We do give them the leaves but did not know about the purple fruit.

:wave: Thank you for your replies, I should have explained my reason for asking.

My reason for asking this is that my bunny has been diagnosed with Thymoma. We do not know if it is benign or not so were thinking of introducing blackberries due to their health benefits.

Someone has told us that blackberries have phenolic compounds. W/i phenolic compound, there is a substance called ellagic acid, which prevent cellular changes which leads to cancer, i.e., it stops a cancer cell from forming.

We are currently thinking, why not try it. We have nothing to lose and it could also be a preventative if it is not cancer. I found the following leafler which says they are safe for them to eat.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

If anyone can provide any further info or advice, I would be grateful.

Back