• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help please - unspayed female bonding.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could advice me. I have been checking rabbit rehome for single female rabbits as a companion for my rabbit. I have found a few that I have fallen in love with but they haven't been spayed.
This would therefore make bonding difficult so I would have to take the rabbit, have her spayed (and keep them very separate) and then try to bond them once I have the all clear. However, if the bond doesn't work I would have to return the female rabbit, which I feel a bit awkward about doing! Anyone had experience of this?

Thanks!

Is your existing bun male or female? And are they already neutered? If you have a neutered male it should be perfectly possible to bond them prior to spaying and once settled get her spayed, with him to keep her company. It can also be done with a neutered female, but it is likely to be a little more difficult.
Why don't you contact the rescues with your situation and see what they say? Some do bonding on site, so would be able to see if they could be put together.

My current rabbit is a boy. So do you think I should risk a bonding? I am waiting to hear from the lady at the rescue more about her rabbits and her policy on spaying and bonding!

Thanks for your help!

Is your current boy neutered?

Either way, bonding with an unspayed female has so many variables, she may bond, she may not, she may fight, she may not, she may annoy the life out of him, until he fights, she may not.

You need to remove as many variables as possible - spaying does that.

Mine is neutered yes, definitely wouldn't be trying it otherwise! I'd ideally just like to adopt one already spayed, but the ones I like haven't been done yet! Very annoying! I could always get her and not start the bond until after she has been spayed but that would make life awkward in terms of when they are out, and would basically half their time out of their cages. So ideally I would just bond them straight away and then have her spayed asap.

Mine is neutered yes, definitely wouldn't be trying it otherwise! I'd ideally just like to adopt one already spayed, but the ones I like haven't been done yet! Very annoying! I could always get her and not start the bond until after she has been spayed but that would make life awkward in terms of when they are out, and would basically half their time out of their cages. So ideally I would just bond them straight away and then have her spayed asap.

What are you doing if they don't bond? Have you thought that through?

Why not take your bun to a rescue and 'date' him to see which buns he likes, rather than what you like?

He has to live with her for the rest of his life, not you :)

Yeh I have and thats my main concern! I've asked the lady who runs the rescue what her policy on taking them back if a bond totally fails. She only has 2 available single females and neither are spayed, If I decide to take the plunge, then I will be taking my bun with me to check them both out! But its more will they take to him if they are not neutered, if he doesn't take to them then they won't be coming home!

Where abouts are you in the uk there is a lot of rescues on RU who have bunnys waiting to go to forever homes and most of them are already spayed and neutered and some even bond ya bunny :D

Back