• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I need some serious eye infection help.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Why won't it just go away? :censored:
I think Grim's eye infections are related to his snuffles. He also has blocked tear ducts which makes them a lot more likely to happen.

Anyway for those who don't know they played up about a month and a half ago and were atrocious. I was massaging about a marble sized amount of puss out of his left eye twice a day and his right eye is really ulcerated. He can't have steroid eye drops, I think because of the ulceration, but I can't remember exactly what my vet said. He was put on chloramphenicol eye ointment four times a day, anti inflammatory eye drops once a day and pain relief/anti inflammatory. He was having his normal baytril every day and penicillin injections every three days and on top of that he was also having metronidazole for two weeks. His eyes cleared up really well. He had a dental and his eyes were flushed as well.

He stayed on the baytril and penicillin as he's probably on these for life and although his eyes looked clear I still gave him the chloramphenicol once a day. On Sunday my friend called me to have a look at him. Literally in a few hours over the course of the day his eyes looked like they had erupted. There was a lot of puss. I've been cleaning his eyes four times a day and putting in the ointment and giving him the drops once a day. I've put him back on pain relief as his eyes look swollen again. I think the next step is to ring my vet and I assume she will want him back on the metronidazole as it worked so well the last time.

I have no idea why his eyes suddenly became so bad again. It could be the weather. Last time they played up the weather suddenly went really wet as it has done now. The other changes are his dose of baytril each day has been doubled, although I would expect that to have the opposite effect? And I have been feeding him separately from Smoo. She needs a diet anyway and Grim has just stopped eating rabbit pellets and will only eat chinchilla pellets which give Smoo a runny bum so I've been feeding him every few hours with chinchilla pellets, sometimes oats and bread with his baytril on. It does mean he's been going a little longer at night without food. Today I had to be in university so I was out for ten hours. I left enough rabbit food out for both of them but when I got back it hadn't been touched enough for him to have eaten a good amount. He was also hiding in the carry case. I offered him the food and he did eat some.

I think he felt safer in there. When his eyes are bad I think he's totally blind. :( He bumps into everything and is really disorientated. It's quite sad, my housemate said he's in the carry case saying take me to the vets. :(

Now I've written an essay does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the infections or how to stop them? They're causing him alot of discomfort. The only other idea I have is that a few winters ago his eyes were really bad inside and I had to put him outside into the cold. This helped him so much but if I did that now they'd be stuck in the hutch due to the rain. I'm going to try opening my window for them. It's very low down so I'm going to put a baby gate over the window first to make it safe.

It's really upsetting to see him like this.

I've just been told he's lying flat out by my bedroom door with his legs out. :love:
Maybe I'm worrying too much?

Are you sure he hasn't become immune to the baytril? My Ellie was on baytril quite frequently and she seemed to build up a resistance to it, I used Septrin instead and this was a lot more effective. Obviously I don't know if Grim can have Septrin but could be worth checking with your vet maybe about changing the antibiotics?

I know it's not the same but my bunny Xena has an ulcer on her eye (no pus/discharge) and it has been well over a month and it is still not healed up. I think some ulcers struggle to heal and I would think it would be made worse by his infections and snuffles. If his immune system is down from infection then it may be something he can never full recover from and it's just a case of managing it when it flares up.

I'm far from an expert in these matters but I hope you can find something to help him. As long as he seems happy then he's obviously not in pain so I wouldn't worry too much unless this "flare up" doesn't get better in a few weeks.

Sending him vibes!

Are you sure he hasn't become immune to the baytril? My Ellie was on baytril quite frequently and she seemed to build up a resistance to it, I used Septrin instead and this was a lot more effective. Obviously I don't know if Grim can have Septrin but could be worth checking with your vet maybe about changing the antibiotics?

I know it's not the same but my bunny Xena has an ulcer on her eye (no pus/discharge) and it has been well over a month and it is still not healed up. I think some ulcers struggle to heal and I would think it would be made worse by his infections and snuffles. If his immune system is down from infection then it may be something he can never full recover from and it's just a case of managing it when it flares up.

I'm far from an expert in these matters but I hope you can find something to help him. As long as he seems happy then he's obviously not in pain so I wouldn't worry too much unless this "flare up" doesn't get better in a few weeks.

Sending him vibes!

That's a very good point. I'll ask my vet when I ring up.
When he comes off the baytril he does start to sneeze so I think it must be doing something but perhaps not with his eyes any more.

I have no experience but wanted to say I am so frustrated on your behalf. Doesn't he have enough to fight already poor lad? I hope you find an answer or a way to keep the infections at bay.

What treatment has he had for his eyes so far ? I mean eye drops etc ?

This time around he's had them flushed and has chloramphenicol eye ointment and acular eye drops (ketorolac trometamol). He's also on baytril and penicillin injections, both of which used to clear his eyes on their own.

Back