• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has the Recommended Dose Rate for Meloxicam Recently Increased ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I am just reading an article on Vetstream and a dose rate of Meloxicam (Metacam) is being given as 0.5-1mg/kg by SC injection every 12 hours

Given that two of the article contributors are John Chitty and Virginia Richardson I guess this must be correct ??

ETA What a job title ' A D1ck Vet'............... :lol:

Sorry :oops:

:oops::lol::lol::lol:

I'm back at the vet tomorrow - I'll ask mine too, although they've only just prescribed meloxicam for Bubbles in line with the 'old'/current guidelines, so I doubt they'll know.

Just thought I'd post on the thread so I can keep track! I'm also very interested to know if it's increased, my notes give a range of 0.3mg to 0.6mg/kg/24hrs (I believe taken from a quote by Jane :D), so 0.5 to 1mg is quite a difference!

Just thought I'd post on the thread so I can keep track! I'm also very interested to know if it's increased, my notes give a range of 0.3mg to 0.6mg/kg/24hrs (I believe taken from a quote by Jane :D), so 0.5 to 1mg is quite a difference!

Especially when given TWICE a day !!

When I had my buns vaccinated the other week we were discussing all things bunny and my vet said they were increasing the pain relief in buns so I presumed she meant meloxicam. She also said it would be quite a big increase.

I read it wrong too and thought that was the daily amount. :oops: That's over 3 times the present dose. :shock:

Is there a link to the article Jane?

I can't put it up on here as it's copyrighted to the site where you have to pay a subscription xx

May I safely assume we're discussing the 1.5mg/ml version (dog version) of metacam here? Both Flora and Parsnip have metacam daily for arthritis so I'd be interested if the dosing has changed. Have all my lot booked in for vacs on Friday so I'll ask my vet then.

May I safely assume we're discussing the 1.5mg/ml version (dog version) of metacam here? Both Flora and Parsnip have metacam daily for arthritis so I'd be interested if the dosing has changed. Have all my lot booked in for vacs on Friday so I'll ask my vet then.

It wont matter what concentration of Meloxicam as we are talking in mg/kg here, not ml/kg :wave:

Back