• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Girls are settlking into their new hutch

couchy

Young Bun
yep iv changed the names again now the dark one is lexi and the blonde one is marbles so here is a pic of their new hutch and some cute ones of them, im still finding it hard for them to tame the second day i had them they wont let me go near them and picking them up is a different story o well i have bojught books and researching on the net :)

:lol:

2jb8c9k.jpg

168v9sm.jpg

35jxldx.jpg

wsrad4.jpg

Beautiful bunnies! :love:
Are you able to get some mesh to put under their run? It will keep them safer - stop them digging out or any predators digging in! :thumb:

ahh right well no so far because my house is built under a school there is quite a bit of concreate underneath so it would be pretty hard but if there is any signs of digging im doing it strait away :)

lovely bunnies! You could perhaps add a carboard box for them to hide intoo..so they dont have to rush upstairs if they feel scared ;) Mine go made for cardboard boxes:lol:
Alos pehraps change the sawdust to aubiose or megazorb...both are horsebedding and can be bought in large bags and is a healthier option for bunnies or small animals...as sawdust has alot od dust and pine phenols..the small animals breath ei in and it can cause respiratory problems...I use aubiose..it costs £10 for a big compressed bag and lasts for ages...I use it in the bunnies litter trays and its grea -very absorbent and the wee goes underneath it so the top stays dry and keeps the bunnies feet dry too.:p

They are such gorgeous buns....:love::love:

Generally bunnies dont like to be picked up as they are prey animals...what you can do to gain their trust is to sit with them and lay down near them...they will eventually see you an not being a threat and come and sniff you etc...if they start grooming themselves or flopping out and laying down whilst you are sitting or laying there - then they are relaxed with you being there.

I "trained" - more like I used the same routine..bunnies love routines... my buns to understand by body language when Im going to pick them up...I stoke them and talk quietly and slip my fingers under their front feet...and lift slightly...after doing this for a while...sometimes they hop away...and I started again...then eventually I also then scoop up their bottoms/back legs and fully support them...never pick up a rabbbit without supporting their back legs.

Mine have now learnt that that is what I will be dong so they expect it.. often they will decide they dont want to be picked up etc which is also fine...but we have a method of what will be happening...this way I know and the rabbits know what I will be doing.

I also have another method whereby I say in a certain voice "come on then...time to go" when I have to put them into a different area and my one little bunny hops straight away to the carrier...the other 2 buns dont though:lol:...they are all different and often feel comfortable with different ways of being handled etc....when you learn their personalitites...you will see how they differ...one of my buns gets scared when held in a certain way...whilst the other buns prefers it. Just make sure you hold them close to your body...they get very scared if being lifted off the ground into the air with nothing close to them....close to your body and frimly so they feel safe. I often lean over them so I can scoop them straight to my body. They prefer this...wel mine do anyway.

Im not sure you can ever tame a rabbit as such...what you can do is teach them routines and if you stick to them they will bewaiting for it to happen:lol:
When mine free range in the garden I always make sure some doors are open as thats how they hop back into their hutches....if oyu do the same thing each time...they will learn the routine and learn to trust that nothing bad will happen.

Hope this helps abit....bit of a ramble...:oops::lol:

Back