• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging Doe

keri

Young Bun
I have two un-neutered does, both are approximately 10 months old, and are due to be neutered over the next few weeks (once the weather warms up a bit).

They are both housed separately at the moment in their own hutches with metal runs attached. The runs are the kind with the small doors at the side which slides upwards. One of them has discovered that she can move the door up and escape so my Husband found her loose in the garden a couple of mornings ago. Whilst she was out she has managed to dig most of the way under the fence which means that she would be out onto the road. Obviously a big worry!

We have secured the little doors so thats not a problem anymore but as I also like them to have supervised free range time in the garden (separately at the moment as they do fight if they get together) I am a bit worried that she will carry on with her digging and find her way out onto the main road whilst my back is turned.

I know that rabbits dig naturally but has anyone got any solutions for securing the garden a bit more.....we had already put planks all around the bottom of the fence where there were some small gaps, but as its just set ontop of the turf rather than sunk in to it, its obvious now that we have to take some further steps and sink something below ground but what? Does have anyone have any ideas, the only thing I can think of is some of the log roll garden edging, if we sunk it completely below lawn level, obviously it wouldn't stop the digging but it would take a fair while longer and a buy us a bit of time to take evasive action. Can anyone else offer any suggestions as to what we could use?

Last edited:
It isn't the prettiest, but you can put paving slabs all around the edge of your garden. It won't stop them digging, but means they can't dig just beside the fence so gives you extra time to catch them in the fact! We did this when I had outdoor buns and it worked nicely. You could also try giving them a digging box, if you get something like a deep littertray, fill it with dirt (hide some foot in it if you want!), compact it down and give it to bunny!

Once Mabel had been neutered she stop digging.
Before that she would spend hours trying to dig out of the run.
Sure it makes a difference.

It isn't the prettiest, but you can put paving slabs all around the edge of your garden. It won't stop them digging, but means they can't dig just beside the fence so gives you extra time to catch them in the fact! We did this when I had outdoor buns and it worked nicely. You could also try giving them a digging box, if you get something like a deep littertray, fill it with dirt (hide some foot in it if you want!), compact it down and give it to bunny!

Yes, that is a good idea. I did suggest it to my Husband but he didn't seem to keen. To be honest the lawn area of the garden isn't that bit for 2 rabbits and all their housing\run etc aswell as 3 young kids so I could do with keeping the lawned area as big as possible.

Thanks for getting back to me though.

Once Mabel had been neutered she stop digging.
Before that she would spend hours trying to dig out of the run.
Sure it makes a difference.

Thats good to know, as I said above, my two will be done over the next few weeks but I just wanted the weather to warm up a bit first as they are both outdoor rabbits.

All being well when their hormones die down they will be able to live together in their new playhouse (not purchased yet!) and these other little problems, like escaping under the fence, will disappear, fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

When Mabel had been neutered we got her lovely
Smokey(unwanted on Gumtree) and i think this
quitened her down as they were all loved up.

I already have two, but they are both female. It has crossed my mind, depending on how they are after their ops, to put a neutered male in with them. I dunno, I shall have to cross that bridge at a later date.

Thanks for your help.

I already have two, but they are both female. It has crossed my mind, depending on how they are after their ops, to put a neutered male in with them. I dunno, I shall have to cross that bridge at a later date.

Thanks for your help.

I think your 2 does will be ok.
It is great to see a couple of buns together grooming and lying
all over each other.I would now hate to have just a singe bun.
Hope the speying goes ok and let us know how the bonding goes.Enjoy.

Thanks. I am hopeful that after the spay they will be ok together, afterall they live right next to each other and have runs butted up to each other, I also swap their toys and furniture every now and again so they are well used to each others smells by now. Fingers crossed x

Small land mines? :shock: :lol: (that's what my hubby suggested when ours tried to dig their way out :lol:)

Back