• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing? Update P8

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

I have noticed lily sneezing once or twice and not put it down to anything other than 'just sneezing' but i just went out and i could hear her sneezing and she must have done it 5-6 times in a row! :? Her eyes are fine but she is still on the scrawney side despite eating loads of hay and pellets...she doesnt seem able to tolerate much in the way of greens (I was trying them with kale and although she loved it it produced uneaten cecals and the same happened when i tried her with spring greens...both tiny amounts) On just hay and pellets their hutch is just regularly filled with lovely golden nice sized poops. I do give them a little herbs daily and she seems to be able to tolerate those without the excess cecals.

Anyway when it sneezing more of a problem? shuld i get her checked out or would there be other symptoms if it was something else?

Im heading to the vets this afternoon as i need to drop a form in and im wondering wether to get her checked? I havnt really come accross snuffles before so am a bit worried!!

Last edited:
I would have her checked.

Is there any discharge around the nasal area or eyes?

Was it anything like this major?

(Clicky, Video)

Aww she is so cute :love: yes it was a bit like that! There is no discharge around her nose or eyes or anything and iv checked her front paws to see if she has anything on them from cleaning her face but they are fine too.

How does the vet check for snuffles?

My Boris has sneezing fits similar to Ginger's in that video and he's definitely got snuffles. To determine this for sure and find out exactly what sort of bacteria has caused it they usually do a culture and sensitivity test, this becomes complicated however when there isn't any discharge like in Boris' case, as that's what they test for bacteria. My vet decided to try it anyway though but I'm not sure it gave any results. Are you absolutely positive it isn't an allergy?

Aww she is so cute :love: yes it was a bit like that! There is no discharge around her nose or eyes or anything and iv checked her front paws to see if she has anything on them from cleaning her face but they are fine too.

How does the vet check for snuffles?

It may just be irritation to environment, it may be dusty hay, it may be dusty air, could be a foreign body in the nasal cavity (piece of hay, etc), there are just so many things. If the areas i mention are dry, its more likely to be what i've just mentioned rather than any infection but always best to have it checked.

If there was discharge, the vet would possibly perform a C&S Culture & Sensitivity test, to determine what bacteria it is, but they can't do that if tehre is no discharge.

The front paws often go 'wet' and 'green/yellow' if they get lots of discharge - however Ginger's never changed colour, they simply got 'wet' from the horrible discharge, she just cleaned them so quickly. You should of seen the thick white gunky stuff that came from her nose post-that sneezing episode. We have ~3 of those a day.

Thanks, she is booked in for 4pm...I spoke to the vet on the phone and she also agreed that it would be better to get her checked out. I have no idea if it could be an allergy tbh but its only been this bad today :? We use farm hay and it can be a bit dusty :?

I think i will sweep the hutch out completly tonight and replace their hay bedding with some vetbed and just put hay in for eating/litter tray (i fill their bedroom with it atm) and see if that makes a difference!

oooh, this thread gives me hope Gus just a small allergy, his nose is slightly damp and he hasn't done multiple sneezes just quite a few in a day (maybe 10 now), we have got new hay (its Alfalfa King timothy hay) because he'd gone off his other hay, and it does seem a bit more dusty than the usual ..... hmmmmmmm
vets at 6pm for some guidance

:wave:

Well good and rubbish news really from the vets...

Firstly her lungs, heart and tummy sound great and she couldnt hear anything to indicate an infection...her eyes and nose are clear even when she sneezes. So the vet has put her on a 5 day course of metcam (0.2ml once per day) so hopefully it will help her...I was worried about having to give her the metacam but she sucked it out the syringe :lol::love:

Secondly they are concerned about her weight :( she is still so scrawny :( she weighs 1.2kg and is very boney still so the vet did say that she might just be on the smaller side but if she doesnt start gaining weight better then we will investingate with bloods etc (I need to weigh her at home and monitor progress) there could be something underlying. We have just started a 9 day panacur course so maybe that will help her gain weight...I just dont know :(

Thirdly (and I think im most bummed about this :( ) she has some little tiny spurs on her back teeth...she is only 4 months old! There is no sign of any irritation on her tounge/cheek from them at the moment and she is still eating as much as she has done since she moved in with us! But she is going to need a dental at some point :(

I feel really bad for her...she is such a sweet little girl and she hated having her back teeth checked :( I dont want her to be uncomfortable, she is a great hay eater so im hoping that it might be easily kept a bay once the spurs are removed.

I think im going to start porridge oats in with her pellets and see if that helps her gain weight...

Last edited:
umm ok never mind :(

I will just jeep plodding on with my little lily face and hope she starts putting weight on... I rang the vets back tonight for a bit of reasurance as I have been worrying about her :( Perhaps thats what I should have done in the first place rather than posting on here :(

I can't offer anything other than my wishes that she gains weight soon and that after one dental she won't require another.
How heavy does the vet want her to be before she can have her dental?

Hi I was told my Lucky may need a dental when the vet noticed spurs on her back teeth while she was being spayed Well that was 4 years ago & she's never needed 1 just make sure your bun always has loads of hay & hopefully she won't either Good luck

Don't be too disheartened :)

Ginger has had spurs forever along with tooth root issues, as many of us do, as you say, often if spurs have been removed hay eating can keep it under control - you may find that she will need a dental once or twice a year, which isn't the end of the world, my Biscuit needs a couple a year, but nothing major :) Even with all the will (and hay!) in the world, we still have to do them frequently.

Also, re the weight, yes, she may be a small bunny, and yes there may be something underlying, again, i have to use my experience with Ginger, but she only weighs 1.7Kg's - that's right for her (and her sickly siblings). Monitor it at home (bathroom scales in KG Mode + a underbed storage box works wonders ;)) and see how you get on.

I'd possibly consider trying some profibre pellets (http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...rotexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-pot-p-1178) to assist her in absorbing everything from her food. They don't physically put any weight on themselves, but get the gut in the best possible state meaning she may be able to absorb more nutrients etc from her food, possibly assisting with weight gain - Ginger has to live on these every day, or she loses weight drastically, and very promptly.

Obviously, discuss this with your vet prior to doing anything - in my mind, i don't agree with the porridge oats without trying other things, because they can be very stodgy and can actually slow the gut as they absorb all the moisture but i do agree in certain situations they are ideal and will help.

What is her EXACT diet, on a daily basis?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just have a little experience in this :)

Vibes for her!

Aw get well lily.

I love your bunnies! I had an agouti dutch called lily. She was such a beautiful bunny and i miss her so much. Altho my lily had blue eyes, your lily reminds me of her. My lily wasvery scrawny when we got her, all ears and feet but she gradually filled out. I think i saw jane mention on another thread about feeding some muesli to put weight on as the flakes are higher in fat.
I may be really wrong, maybe someone can confirm this?

Thanks for your replies :)

What is her EXACT diet, on a daily basis?

Sorry for the lengthy post, just have a little experience in this :)

Vibes for her!

Thank you for your reply...her exact diet is (breakfast) large handful of SS junior pellets between her and rosey, plenty of fresh meadow hay (refreshed through the day), tea time they have a plate of herbs which is a large handful between them (lily does much better on herbs and on the veg I have tried) and she does seem ok with kale. I spoke to the vets about upping her pellets and trying to introduce more veg to try and help her put weight on but she agreed with my worries that it could cause further tummy issues and left cecals again... She adores her hay and often chooses that over the pellets.

Thanks for your replies :)

Thank you for your reply...her exact diet is (breakfast) large handful of SS junior pellets between her and rosey, plenty of fresh meadow hay (refreshed through the day), tea time they have a plate of herbs which is a large handful between them (lily does much better on herbs and on the veg I have tried) and she does seem ok with kale. I spoke to the vets about upping her pellets and trying to introduce more veg to try and help her put weight on but she agreed with my worries that it could cause further tummy issues and left cecals again... She adores her hay and often chooses that over the pellets.

I'd speak to the vet about the pro-fibre then as she should be gaining weight on that diet a little at least :)

Back