• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - dwarf rabbit eye problem - includes pic

picmedic

New Kit
Please help!
My rabbit Pepper has developed an eye problem overnight. In addition she is not eating her hay, only a couple of slices of banana, I have read that this could mean a gum/tooth issue. I have been to a vet but he was not very convincing. He prescribed anti-inflammatory eye cream which was not effective. I am having a problem locating a rabbit-savvy local vet as rabbits are not very common pets where I live (Malta). Please tell me if this is something which you are familiar with, I am really worried, I love this little creature.

2ly52dx.jpg

didnt want to read and run, no idea what it is but looks like an abscess to me, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon

It looks as though he may have a foreign body in the lower eyelid, or possibly an acute infection in the follicle of an eyelash. Another possibility is a sting from an insect.

Has the Vet prescribed some additional analgesia aswell as the topical eye treatment ? He is probably not eating as he is in pain, so getting this under control is an essential.

Have you/the Vet checked him over for swellings anywhere else ? Did the Vet take his temperature ?

I would advise you to contact the Vet again if pain relief has not been prescribed.

Ooo that looks sore :( Good on you for trying to find a rabbit savvy vet though, I can imagine it must be difficult.

It looks as though he may have a foreign body in the lower eyelid, or possibly an acute infection in the follicle of an eyelash. Another possibility is a sting from an insect.

Has the Vet prescribed some additional analgesia aswell as the topical eye treatment ? He is probably not eating as he is in pain, so getting this under control is an essential.

Have you/the Vet checked him over for swellings anywhere else ? Did the Vet take his temperature ?

I would advise you to contact the Vet again if pain relief has not been prescribed.

Agree with all of this. Poor bunny. I hope you can find a vet to help you. Good luck x

Yes, I think you need painkillers for him.
The eye cream might take a while to work.

You need to make sure he's eating. What food does he have? If it's pellets you could soak them in water and mash them up/puree them so they can be syringe fed. Or you might be able to get a liquid food from the vets. Offer him all his favourite foods, try fresh herbs like parsley or a bit of banana.

I hope he's okay.

Thank you all for your help and interest. It could be that that she has some gum infection as she is very picky on food and is eating much less than usual. She also seems uneasy when I try to open her mouth for inspection. I am still trying to find a vet who has experience with rabbits. I shall keep you posted. I thought I'd share with you what Pepper looks like:

ixfcbt.jpg

Last edited:
that looks so sore. she's beautiful. agree with contacting the vet again if nothing is improving. also, could you try and locate a rabbit vet somewhere who could consult via telephone with your current vet?

Pepper - Update...good news, so far so good

I am happy to report that Pepper is making good progress. Apparently this was caused by a reaction to the VHD and myxomatosis combi vaccine (by Romvac) that she had been given 10 days before. I have contacted the vaccine’s manufacturer and sent them a copy of the quality certificate that I got from the local agent. In case anyone is interested the expiry date for this batch is 24.12.2012.
The lump under her eye is receding; she appears lively and is eating well again. She was given daily shots of antibiotics for a week but this was not specifically for the cause of the lump but to boost her immune system against other attacks. We’re hoping she makes a full recovery.
P.S. does anyone know how to clean the eye ointment that is stuck to the fur around her eyes? I tried water but not soap as I do not want to risk some sort of new reaction.

r78vuf.jpg

Glad that she is getting better.

Are the vaccine manufacturers paying for her treatment?

I had a look at the other thread, that is exactly how all this started.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/understanding_myxo_feb06.htm

Quote: “The myxomatosis vaccine in Britain (Nobi-vac Myxo) is made from a harmless virus called Shope Fibroma. Antibodies made in response to Shope Fibroma Virus also protect against myxomatosis - this is called cross immunity. Different vaccines (including live attenuated myxomatosis virus) are used elsewhere in Europe, but tend to have more side effects and there are concerns that they are not safe enough for use in pet rabbits”

I have it from the manufacturers (from pictures that I've sent them) that these are symptoms of the Shope virus, which is used as described above.

Glad that she is getting better.

Are the vaccine manufacturers paying for her treatment?

I wish they were. The way I see it is that if I just ask for information it is only in their interest to provide me with information. If I mention any bills they would probably just close communications. Frankly I have not a clue how I can make them pay anyway, especially if this falls under "side-effects"in the small print of the product.

I wish they were. The way I see it is that if I just ask for information it is only in their interest to provide me with information. If I mention any bills they would probably just close communications. Frankly I have not a clue how I can make them pay anyway, especially if this falls under "side-effects"in the small print of the product.

I suppose you are right, if it is on the side effects then that is the risk. It is such a wee shame for bunny.

Back