• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D Post 139 - Angelina's babies have been counted. Page 9

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
Angelina gave birth to 6 kits on the 28th March. There was an un neutered make in the house but the former owner wouldn't confirm if they had been together when the kits were born. Today though, I have my suspicions that he was. If the DOB given is correct, the next litter would be due 1 week today.

This afternoon I cleaned Angelina's dog bed, and gave her fresh hay. Normally she then uses it as a munching station and litter tray. Today she did something she hadn't done in the last 3 weeks here. She emptied out the hay

20120422_183540.jpg

And rearranged it underneath the kitchen chairs

20120422_183514.jpg

She has recently started digging for Australia and has lifted and ripped a massive strip of lino on the kitchen, just as well we are planning new flooring soon!

Her tummy does look plump underneath but given how much she hates being handled I don't plan doing anything to find out definitely. She is on unlimited junior pellets, lots of greens/grass and loves her hay. Time will tell but I needed to share my fears.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I really hope not but it does look pretty likely with that behaviour:( Hopefully she is just changing her ways. :?

Nevermind at least you get a double dose of cute baby bunny cuteness if she is.

Good luck :)

Thanks everyone!:wave::wave:

I am just hoping that she has enough reserves to feed two lots of babies at once because I do not want to have to wean the current babies early. :wave:

I really hope she isn't pregnant Ali :( I was anxious right up to 3 days after the 'due' date with September. Her tummy was also low & large and like you, we had no way of knowing if she was carrying again but it turned out to be just post preggers tum (we were told she had 13 babies originally and it wasn't her first litter either so no wonder :( ).

If there IS another litter on the way I think you would be advised to remove the older kits as her instinct will be to protect the younger ones and she may therefore attack the others :( There is also the possibility of her panicing and killing the new borns :( I don't mean to panic you but this is what I was prepared for and you should be too (hugs).

At 4 weeks, the older buns will be nibbling on solids and drinking for themselves. Whilst far from ideal, they should survive without mum and at least have each other for company, comfort and warmth (I always think it's harder if there is just one baby).

I really hope she isn't pregnant Ali :( I was anxious right up to 3 days after the 'due' date with September. Her tummy was also low & large and like you, we had no way of knowing if she was carrying again but it turned out to be just post preggers tum (we were told she had 13 babies originally and it wasn't her first litter either so no wonder :( ).

If there IS another litter on the way I think you would be advised to remove the older kits as her instinct will be to protect the younger ones and she may therefore attack the others :( There is also the possibility of her panicing and killing the new borns :( I don't mean to panic you but this is what I was prepared for and you should be too (hugs).

At 4 weeks, the older buns will be nibbling on solids and drinking for themselves. Whilst far from ideal, they should survive without mum and at least have each other for company, comfort and warmth (I always think it's harder if there is just one baby).

Err - just to say I agree. She will not really have food and energy for both lots so you will have to be mum to the 4 week olds now. How many days will there be until Birth day is she is pregnant?

Err - just to say I agree. She will not really have food and energy for both lots so you will have to be mum to the 4 week olds now. How many days will there be until Birth day is she is pregnant?

Ok, time to bonds Rum, Raisin, Floppy and Millie then move the babies through to the living room where R&R are just now.

It will be 6 days I'd what we were told by the original owners is correct. Will I give them til 4 wks which is 2 days? Can I wait till I know for definite or do I need to split now? I am so worried for her and for the babies, the runt in particular. He - or she - is so skinny but does have a round tum every morning and is as active, if not more so, than the others.

So many questions but I can't do this alone.

Ok, time to bonds Rum, Raisin, Floppy and Millie then move the babies through to the living room where R&R are just now.

It will be 6 days I'd what we were told by the original owners is correct. Will I give them til 4 wks which is 2 days? Can I wait till I know for definite or do I need to split now? I am so worried for her and for the babies, the runt in particular. He - or she - is so skinny but does have a round tum every morning and is as active, if not more so, than the others.

So many questions but I can't do this alone.

is it possible to pop mum to the vets for a quick check?
Could she just feel the need to move the currant buns into a 'safer' place?

is it possible to pop mum to the vets for a quick check?
Could she just feel the need to move the currant buns into a 'safer' place?

It would be but she gets so stressed being handled I was trying to avoid it. Given she had young kits to feed, new kits possibly on the way and is not in the best of condition I am worried about anything that could cause her more stress. Just not sure what to do for the best.

I have my fingers crossed for you that the bun isn't pregnant again.

If she is though (it does sound like it) I hope it goes well x

Oh gosh!!! :shock:

Really hope she isn't pregnant......!! (Although if she is then maybe we'll share a birthing day!;))

Got a vet appt tomorrow morning. Will take everyone for a check.

Are you sure mum & babies will be ok being moved Ali? I know you want to know if she's pregnant but I was advised not to move September and the kits for fear of stressing mum out - there is still a risk that should could attack them even at this stage :(

I'm not saying don't do it, just want to you make an informed decision and the right one for you.

...and you're not on your own :wave: Assume you have the support of the rescue you're fostering for as well? I wouldn't have managed without Jill being on the end of the phone giving me reassurance and advice :D

Are you sure mum & babies will be ok being moved Ali? I know you want to know if she's pregnant but I was advised not to move September and the kits for fear of stressing mum out - there is still a risk that should could attack them even at this stage :(

I'm not saying don't do it, just want to you make an informed decision and the right one for you.

...and you're not on your own :wave: Assume you have the support of the rescue you're fostering for as well? I wouldn't have managed without Jill being on the end of the phone giving me reassurance and advic E

I know, I didn't want to move her but didn't want to wean the babies for no reason. However, I have just cancelled the appt after watching her tummy jump and roll for 15 mins.:(

I definitely have the support of the rescue which is great, I am just the kind of person who constantly worries about doing the right thing. For all the evidence I can find to remove the older ones, I can find just as much saying to see how it goes. :? I need a pulling my hair out smilie!!

I know, I didn't want to move her but didn't want to wean the babies for no reason. However, I have just cancelled the appt after watching her tummy jump and roll for 15 mins.:(

I definitely have the support of the rescue which is great, I am just the kind of person who constantly worries about doing the right thing. For all the evidence I can find to remove the older ones, I can find just as much saying to see how it goes. :? I need a pulling my hair out smilie!!

I really can empathise as I'm just the same :oops:

Assuming she's still feeding the kits I think I'd be inclined to wait as long as you can and not remove them until the others arrive (assuming they do). If she's building a nest away from the current kits then I'd be inclined to let her carry on. That way if she has them there the older kits won't be too close, she'll be less likely to feel threatened by them and you'll have time to separate them (hopefully). I know it's all if's & maybe's at the moment which is frustrating and worrying :(

They are in the best place and have the best possible chance of surviving Ali. Do try and remember that xx

Last edited:
I really can empathise as I'm just the same :oops:

Assuming she's still feeding the kits I think I'd be inclined to wait as long as you can and not remove them until the others arrive (assuming they do). If she's building a nest away from the current kits then I'd be inclined to let her carry on. That way if she has them there the older kits won't be too close, she'll be less likely to feel threatened by them and you'll have time to separate them (hopefully).

I have it set up so that they are stuck in the dog crate most of the time and she can jump onto the box and into the crate to see them. I am hoping the nest is away from the babies but she has started fur pulling and building her nest in the box joined onto the crate. Typical!:roll:

:roll:

Back