• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4ft hutch Spot the difference!

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
Yesterday I collected these two 4ft hutches from people who had kindly donated them to Honeybunnies :)

Both were described as "large 4ft double deckers".

Sure enough, they both measure 4ft in length and they are both double deckers. It just goes to show how subjective words like 'large' can be and also why, when we're doing home checks we go armed with a tape measure ;) :lol:

4fthutches002.jpg

4fthutches001.jpg

The real large hutch (which also came with a silver padded winter hutch hugger as well as the water proof cover) has already been collected from my house and is now going to be used by someone who is looking to adopt some piggies from Honeybunnies :thumb:

Last edited:
Hmmm!

Nice that they were donated though, and hopefully the smaller one will not have bunnies in it ever again....

Apologies Yvette - just an idea :oops: Don't know much about ferrets (clearly) but was only going to suggest it as night time accommodation (based on what I've seen/heard ferret owners use). It's certainly too small for much else!

Wow, that's a huge difference!
Salt and Pepper would love the smaller one as a den, though. It would be great as a shelter inside a shed or enclosure.

Wow, that's a huge difference!
Salt and Pepper would love the smaller one as a den, though. It would be great as a shelter inside a shed or enclosure.

Indeed :thumb: that's what I've suggested it could be used for :D

My pairs have a couple of 3 foot hutches in their enclosures, and they use the inside as a toilet :D and sit on top of them as a lookout. :thumb:

My pairs have a couple of 3 foot hutches in their enclosures, and they use the inside as a toilet :D and sit on top of them as a lookout. :thumb:

:thumb: ..and that's exactly what they should be used for :thumb: Ideal snuggle/poo boxes or just something to play in! The girls here are having a great time exploring inside it when they're free ranging :lol::lol: (it's been bleached & 100% rinsed with boiling water)

I gave a 2ft (yes 2ft!) hutch to a friend of mine the other week to use as a hibernation box for his tortoise! :love:

I know a bunny who has a four feet double decker, but he is mainly free range. I also know a bunny whose hutch I'm pretty sure is smaller than 4our feet. :(

I know a bunny who has a four feet double decker, but he is mainly free range. I also know a bunny whose hutch I'm pretty sure is smaller than 4our feet. :(

Yes sadly Susie a 4ft x 16 inch deep (which is what the other hutch is) double decker is far from small in terms of the UK norm :(

Makes me sad to think of all the bunnies kept in those hutches.

Makes me feel even worse to think that Biccy was kept in a single story 4ft when he came here.

However, i think you'll agree, things have changed for the better there :)

How lovely that theyve been donated to honeybunnys, im sure you will make good use of them :)

When Donny was tiny he had a 4ft double hutch but I love it.. purely because it's 2ft deep and 2ft high on both levels :) He had an attached run of course :) I would never use it to shut them in and at the moment it's flat packed down the side of the house :lol: Mom said we should rescue some guinea pigs! :love: :lol: She loves how they talk to each other :lol: My dad's face was a picture :lol: She just kept saying "I feed the rabbits 4 days out of the week, giving fresh hay, some greens and some pellets won't make a difference Carl! Alycia can still clean them out and I can wash the blankets, you raised her to be responsible, so here she is, being responsible" :lol::lol:

How nice of them to be donated though :D

Last edited:
Makes me sad to think of all the bunnies kept in those hutches.

Makes me feel even worse to think that Biccy was kept in a single story 4ft when he came here.
However, i think you'll agree, things have changed for the better there :)

Errr - just a bit! :shock::lol:

How lovely that theyve been donated to honeybunnys, im sure you will make good use of them :)

Indeed, there are some kind folks around :D

When Donny was tiny he had a 4ft double hutch but I love it.. purely because it's 2ft deep and 2ft high on both levels :) He had an attached run of course :) I would never use it to shut them in and at the moment it's flat packed down the side of the house :lol: Mom said we should rescue some guinea pigs! :love: :lol: She loves how they talk to each other :lol: My dad's face was a picture :lol: She just kept saying "I feed the rabbits 4 days out of the week, giving fresh hay and some greens and some pellets won't make a difference Carl! Alycia can still clean them out and I can wash the blankets, you raised her to be responsible, so here she is, being responsible" :lol::lol:

How nice of them to be donated though :D

Sounds like a great idea :thumb: When would you like them? :lol:

Sounds like a great idea :thumb: When would you like them? :lol:

:lol: I'd have them now :love: No doubt we will have some :lol: My mom has mentioned it at least 100 times to my dad since yesterday so it shouldn't be too long :lol: Not that he will have any say in it really :lol:

Well its always nice to get a donation but they really are far too small. It sickens me to think people keep animals in these thin wee boxes 24/7 :(

We have this too. Maisie and Bilbo's is probably about 4ft and they love to sit on top and munch their hay. I ordered what I thought was the same one for Orla and Donny (was the same price) only to find it was more like 3ft :shock: But they love to snooze on top and pee inside :lol: so now its their en suite.

I'm personally against keeping a rabbit in any kind of hutch (even a 6 footer) as there is often a lack of variety in levels and textures. They need stimulation as much as space in my experience which is why I prefer to create a run filled with toys, boxes, beds, different height levels and textures on the floor. I think providing a hutch as hidey hole is fine but that's all I think they are good for.

My elderly bunnies have hutches with cat flaps in their runs so they can come and go as they choose but still keep warm in the winter and it works fine. But on observation if given the choice a rabbit will not spend much time at all in the hutch. They much prefer to be on it instead :lol:

Just to add
Jen does a great job in re vamping and selling on any donated hutches
but any that are in too bad a state or we consider much too small are smashed up and go to the tip

Back