• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

should I continue with meds?

scarlett

Alpha Buck
I had to take scarlett to the emergency vet last night as she had stopped eating from mid afternoon, I thought it was stasis as she has done this before, when the vet examined her she said she thought she could see a small spur on her back tooth, and said that may be what caused her to not eat, however my own vet had examined her 4 weeks ago when she was having her myxi vacc and said everything including her teeth were fine. The vet gave her pain relief injection and fibreplex and zantac, and told us to syringe feed her recovery food, by 4.30 am scarlett was eating by herself, lots of veg, and hay, and drinking, by 10am she did some poos and now is back to normal:D My question is should I give Scarlett anymore pain relief, she would be due 2ml of metacam at about 8pm tonight? I am tending to think it was another bout of stasis, but will take her to my own vet in the morning just to make sure:wave:

Molar spurs can grow very quickly so it could have grown since your vet last checked her.
I think I'd keep her on the metacam and see the vet tomorrow. I wouldn't want to risk her stopping eating again and it won't do her any harm to have it.

In my experience the emergency/random vets tend to think spurs are an issue when they aren't. I have always stopped the medication once they are eating very eagerly but I'm not qualified to give proper advice.

Thanks for the reply, wolud I still need to give the zantac aswell?

Like Tim, I'm not qualified to give advice, but if you're 100% confident her tum is ok now then that's for her tum so I would probably leave that.

The only reason I'd stick with the metacam until you see your vet is because you can't judge whether her teeth are a problem because you can't see them, and she could only be eating because the metacam is stopping it from being sore.

Thats what I tend to think about emergency vets, and I was thinking why give pain relief if she doesnt need it, but as Red Fraggle says it wont do her any harm:? If I give the metacam I presume I should give the zantac aswell? The way that the vet said I think I can see a small spur made me think would a small spur make her stop eating? I think it is stasis due to her going through a moulting period:wave: But then again I could be wrong, and now I am confused:?

Thanks Red Fraggle, just seen your reply, is the zantac given because the metacam upsets buns tums or to help with the gut slowdown?:wave:

I would keep her on both meds overnight :wave:

If it was stasis then having the zantac overnight will give her a longer time to get over it.

Zantac is given to help with gut slow down, and to protect the tum when the bun is on high doses of metacam :wave:

Thanks for replies, can I give metacam and zantac at same time so she doesnt get too stressed about being picked up :roll:

Took Scarlett to vets this morning and my vet couldnt see any evidence of spurs on her teeth which I was very relieved about:D She had a really good look and concluded that it must have been gut slowdown due to her moulting quite heavily. Thanks for all advice:wave:

Back