• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Timmy's eyes

weedug

Mama Doe
Timmy has not been doing so well for a while now. He has an eye ulcer in both eyes, which just doesn't seem to get better. He has had all sorts of drops thrown at them, but they tend to just make his eyes worse.

He spends pretty much all day sitting around with his eyes closed now, just opening them for short periods of time. He has lost some of the fur around the worst eye now, although the eye doesn't seem to be weeping.

My vet isn't keen on eye removal, as with Timmy it is both eyes, and he is a very nervous bunny.

I don't know what to do for him now. Anyone any ideas?

I have no idea, but I'm sorry to hear that there hasn't been any improvement.

Poor Timmy *sends nose wub*

I'm really sorry about Timmy. I just noticed you are near Edinburgh- is that Olivia in your signature? I also rehomed a bunny from buddies!
Hope Timmy perks up :-(

I'm really sorry about Timmy. I just noticed you are near Edinburgh- is that Olivia in your signature? I also rehomed a bunny from buddies!
Hope Timmy perks up :-(

:wave: I foster for Buddies, but haven't rehomed from them yet. I must have a look-a-like!

Hope your bunny is doing well.

Will try to remember them all. He has had them debrided. Made no difference.

He's had tiacil, fucithalmic, viscotears, soothe (I think it was called), lacrilube, serum eye drops (twice), and another lot of drops that I can't remember the name of :oops:

He's also on Septrin as that seemed to help for a while, but now to be honest I don't think it makes much difference.

Other drops were chloramphenicol, and he has had Baytril too.

Tear ducts were fine when they were checked.

Eye lids have been checked for ingrowing eyelashes, and teeth checked while under ga.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest Chloremphenicol as that has always been the most beneficial in the eye ulcers I have dealt with

Santa (a member on here, not the fat guy with a beard and wearing a red suit!!) has a Bun with a slow to heal ulcer. He is on a human eye treatment, but I cant for the life of me remember the name of it. So I'd drop Santa a PM and ask her. I am not sure that she logs on here every day though.

Thanks, I've pm'd Santa.

Unfortunately, the Chloremphenicol was one of the drops that just seemed to make things worse.

Apologies, the pics aren't that great, but they do show how Dudley's improved over the course of a week on ciprofloxacin eye drops (human medicine but prescribed by my vet). The ulcer had been there for about a month or so before we swapped to these as a last-ditch attempt to get it to heal before moving on to more invasive treatments. It has now almost completely gone, the slightly grey patch where the ulcer was is scarring and is not active ulcer, my vet says it may or may not improve over time, but because he is an old boy it will obviously take longer than in a youngster. All cause by a seed head from hay getting stuck in his eye :(

b62a638c.jpg

bed2d251.jpg

Back