• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stray bunny found in Newcastle

JS22

New Kit
Hi all,

Not sure where the best place is to post this, but I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

This morning I found a stray bunny sat outside my neighbour's house. He's now in my kitchen, so at least he's out of the rain and safe from cats etc, but I'm not sure what to do with him! He definitely doesn't belong to any of my immediate neighbours, and I've put up some signs around the area in case anyone is looking for him.

The RSPCA don't have anywhere very local (as far as I know) that takes in animals, and the cat & dog shelter has places for rabbits, but is full. I've contacted a couple of local rescues via email so hopefully one of them will be able to offer a place.

My main problem is that I don't have anywhere suitable to keep him, so will need a rescue place by tomorrow at the latest (assuming no one comes forward to claim him). If there is anyone in the area who might be able to help, could you let me know please?

He's definitely a pet and is quite tame. He wasn't keen on being caught but didn't put up too much of a fight, and sat quite calmly while I had hold of him. There's no obvious injuries and he seems OK in himself. (Also, I'm referring to "him" but I'm not sure - I don't know how easy it is to sex a rabbit, and don't want to manhandle him/her too much to have a closer look down there!)

Well done for catching him/her, hopefully the owners will come foward! I can't really help I'm afraid, but in the meantime do you have some hay for him? Rabbits need to eat all the time to keep their systems going, and hay is the best thing :thumb:

Yes, well done for rescuing him!

Are you able to make any arrangements to keep him as a pet at all, if no one does claim him? I hope they do!

As the above poster says, if you can get some asap and of course fresh water, that would be the best thing. Also, fresh herbs would be great alongside. It's important his gut keeps moving.

Let us know how you get along. Best of luck x

Thanks - luckily the owners saw the signs I'd put up and have now come and collected him! :D Apparently he dug his way out of the garden last night, so the poor thing must have been out all night in the rain.

That's good news, they should probably mesh his run or put paving slabs down to keep him safe! Hope they were relieved to see him safe and sound, well done for reuniting them :wave:

Thanks - luckily the owners saw the signs I'd put up and have now come and collected him! :D Apparently he dug his way out of the garden last night, so the poor thing must have been out all night in the rain.

Well done you! :thumb:

Well done for helping bunny.

i hope the owners are more careful now not to lose him again, he may not be so lucky next time.

Hope you stay friends here :wave:

Back