• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why we don't " Make Room "

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
Honeybunnies, along with most other rescues on here, don't have a policy of euthanasing long termers or unhomables to make room for new intakes. Sadly some rescues do and sometimes they have to due to people just dumping pets on them when they have no room :cry:

Here is one of our reasons why we don't
Bowie..was given in, March 2011, after an RU member asked for a rescue to help him as not being cared for properly. He arrived EXTREMELY nervous and hating being handled
He grew to trust me but not others..needing time to get to know you .

Our rehoming slowed down last year and Bowie was overlooked, or reserved then let down, time and again:cry:
In some places he would have "gone" especially as he had to have a lump removed while here.
but 11 months after arriving he was chosen by a lovely couple for me to bond with their doe :love::love:
I have posted this pic before but here he is in his new home with Lucy

bowieandwife.jpg

His new mum and dad are such lovely people and have spent time with him showing him love and today his new mum has posted pics on Fb of him having cuddles ..which he now loves having :D:D

bowiecuddle.jpg

so 11 months in rescue is a long time..but the right home was waiting for him and I'm sure Bowie thinks it was worth that wait

Last edited:
Lovely pics, I'm so glad you don't 'make room' otherwise I might not have my Princess Paw Paw :love::love:

Lovely :love::love::love: I love that you (and the other rescues on ru) give all buns in your care the chance of finding the right home. It's so sad when buns get pts simply for being one too many :(

:love:That is a lovely story tears in the eyes again looks like Bowie is enjoying his new life well done to you all :love:

So pleased to hear this story and that you don't "make room" by means of pts long term bunnies.

We operate in a similar way- we don't pts except after exhausting all options for treatment and under veterinary advice that it is in the rabbits best interest to do so. We continue to provide sanctuary for bunnies with ongoing medical issues.

We expand in accordance with funds and have to factor in the long term costs of caring for sick bunnies which inevitably runs into £1000s+ each month.

At the moment we are at our limit in accordance with funding, but as this changes we will take on further animals providing this doesn't compromise the care of any bunnies we have here currently.

I totally agree with your sentiment regarding this. Bowie is beautiful :)
~Jane

Last edited:
Rescuing

Ahhh such a lovely story :wave:
I finish uni in 4 weeks and then will be back in touch about rescuing a girl bun for our boy who is being neutered soon. :love: Cant wait x:love:

I suspect that depends on how many of us fosterers do pesky things like go on holiday or maternity leave! ;)

yep it varies..on how many foster spaces and how desperate the situation is for the animals concerned, as in the bird bunny case the foster team were superb re arranging their homes to take in extra bunnies ( including KateB and hubby !)

Lovley Story and if it wasn't for you our Poppy Pen( Simba) prob would have been put down also . I will take a picture of her tomorrow with her favorate person in the world my hubby she grooms him now and they have a understanding he says.

We Still have to see her other side she has been a angel here but she just runs away if I try to catch her but hubby can do anything with her. I am sure she just dont like females.

Great story Jill :thumb:

Many folks on here will be familiar with 'Bouncer' who was fostered by me for 15 months. Those of you who aren't, it's worth searching for some of this threads, he's quite a character ;):lol:

Bouncer, or 'Sir Bouncer' to use his official title ;) is certainly an example of a bun who would have 'gone' had the policy at Honeybunnies been different :cry: ..and what a tragedy that would have been :( His forever family Sian, Lee & Holly (Loog on here) completey adore him (to the extent that parts of the house have been rearranged to accommodate his needs :lol: ). He has the most amazing life now and has his human slaves wrapped around all four paws :lol::lol:

Back