• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some advice about bunny teeth

Kerryyyy

Mama Doe
I don't know what to do about Patchies, and it is causing me a lot of stress. He gets as much hay as he wants everyday and he eats it all. But he is still having dental problems. His eating has slowed down again so I think his teeth are hurting.

Why is he getting sore teeth if he eats hay non stop?! I will always love him no matter what and I just want what is best for him. The vet has mentioned that he has a deformed bottom jaw.

Last edited:
If the teeth aren't properly aligned in the first place (which sounds like the case for Patches) then the teeth don't wear down evenly, even with the best diet.

It's great that he's eating plenty of hay because that will still help to keep the time between dentals as long as possible - how long has it been since his last dental?

I would say just over a month and a bit. I am taking him to the vet this week to be seen again, and I have stuff to syringe just in case he stops eating. Do you think he might possibly lose his teeth later on in life??

What diagnostics has Patches had?

What dental treatment does he get when he 'has a dental' ? Are the teeth burred all the way back to the gum, or are spurs just removed?

Its possible it could be tooth root elongation, where the root of the tooth pushes up into the jaw, which is excrutiatingly painful and requires daily pain relief. Many of us (inclusive of me) have a bunny like that - this can only be detemrined by an x-ray.

Ginger eats more hay than you can provide her with, still needs a dental frequently.

Back