• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing - allergic to hay?

dayle_x

Mama Doe
One of my mini lops has been sneezing for quite a while now. We've had numerous trips to the vet and shes been under GA to check her teeth which were fine, and they cleared her tear ducts which they said were quite built up with pus.
Since the op, she has improved but is still a sneezy bunny, especially when we put hay down (even dust free). Shes an indoor bun, and has megazorb in her litter tray.
Any ideas anyone?
Thank you

Re Piriton

One of my bunnys was like this for over 12 months she's had cultures sensitivity biopsy blood tests and nothing came back she is on piriton at the minute but I've started getting her dust free hay and she's been loads better since 
I didn't just give her piriton it was on the Vets instructions 😊

Last edited:
We had a problem with Lily our little girl bun who unfortunately died in a horrible accident at home a year and 4 days ago.

Lily came to us with a number of health problems including being a sneezey bun especially when hay was around which is a massive problem for buns! Anyway, we were advised to soak her eating hay in water before shaking it off, leaving it for twenty minutes and then letting her have it. Our rabbit savvy vet said sometimes buns have problems with the spores on hay if I remember correctly. It certainly helped Lily. We also used fleece blankets and used cat litter (pellets) in her litter tray and she was absolutely fine with this in just a couple of weeks. It is just so incredibly sad she didn't get the chance to benefit and lead a fully happy life. I think about her every day.

Hope this helps your lovely bun! xx

Has your bun had any treatment prescribed? Did your vet take a sample of the pus after they flushed the tearducts? It sounds like your bun has a chronic URTI aggravated by having narrowed nasolacrimal ducts? :? I'm assuming she is on or has been on a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs?

Hi,
I was just going to post about the same problem. My bun has been to the vet loads of times since he started sneezing about a year ago. He's since been on way too many different antibiotics (including Amikin, Marbocyl, Ceporex, Duphapen... :shock: ), has had culture+sensitivity done twice (they found some staphylococcus bacteria, which is pretty normal afaik anyway), and a skull x-ray to check whether he had anything stuck in his nose. The antibiotics always work well for a few months, but the sneezing comes back within a week or two after stopping them.

He's currently got one nostril that's full of pus and he sneezes a few times a day, which is a bit worrying. I really don't want to pump him full of any more antibiotics though :/ The vet (who specializes in exotics!) has suggested some kind of vaporisation of antibiotics, but that means putting the rabbit in his carrier, then in a plastic bag (!) and then letting him inhale the antibiotics for ~20 minutes - twice a day! Sounded a bit too much like a gas chamber to me, so I refused.

We only introduced hay into his diet about a year ago (and he loves it, so it's everywhere!), and the sneezing started shortly after. So I'm thinking I might try and wet the hay before feeding as one poster mentioned above, and replace it with those recycled paper pellets in his litter tray. Has anyone else got any suggestions for good alternatives to feeding dry hay?

Any advice would be very much appreciated... I'm completely clueless :(

Hi,
I was just going to post about the same problem. My bun has been to the vet loads of times since he started sneezing about a year ago. He's since been on way too many different antibiotics (including Amikin, Marbocyl, Ceporex, Duphapen... :shock: ), has had culture+sensitivity done twice (they found some staphylococcus bacteria, which is pretty normal afaik anyway), and a skull x-ray to check whether he had anything stuck in his nose. The antibiotics always work well for a few months, but the sneezing comes back within a week or two after stopping them.

He's currently got one nostril that's full of pus and he sneezes a few times a day, which is a bit worrying. I really don't want to pump him full of any more antibiotics though :/ The vet (who specializes in exotics!) has suggested some kind of vaporisation of antibiotics, but that means putting the rabbit in his carrier, then in a plastic bag (!) and then letting him inhale the antibiotics for ~20 minutes - twice a day! Sounded a bit too much like a gas chamber to me, so I refused.

We only introduced hay into his diet about a year ago (and he loves it, so it's everywhere!), and the sneezing started shortly after. So I'm thinking I might try and wet the hay before feeding as one poster mentioned above, and replace it with those recycled paper pellets in his litter tray. Has anyone else got any suggestions for good alternatives to feeding dry hay?

Any advice would be very much appreciated... I'm completely clueless :(

This is called nebulisation and is used to GREAT effect by many members on here with buns with chronic snuffles buns. If you contact BiscandMatt by PM or Santa and have a search for 'nebulisers' you should find some helpful threads. Nebulising abx and saline or this other product F10 members have used is extremely helpful in most cases.

Last edited:
This is called nebulisation and is used to GREAT effect by many members on here with buns with chronic snuffles buns. If you contact BiscandMatt by PM or Santa and have a search for 'nebulisers' you should find some helpful threads. Nebulising abx and saline or this other product F10 members have used is extremely helpful in most cases.

Ah yes, that was it. It just sounded horrible and I thought it would cause him just more stress - and I didn't know whether it would work after all. I'll have another look, if it really helps, it's definitely worth a try. Thanks!!

Yes she has had the anti inflammatory drugs and antibiotics prescribed but they don't seem to make much difference. The vet didn't take a sample of the pus.
So by the sounds of things quite a few buns have this and theres not too much we can do about it - especially with how much you've tried papercutexit!
She does have good days and bad days.
I will try soaking the hay too and see if that helps & let everyone know!
Thanks xx

Hi - my bunny Betty used to sneeze terribly and have a runny nose all the time. On verts advice we changed her hay to special dust free hay from the hay experts website - its called pure pastures - and the difference has been amazing - no more sneezing at all. I think the allergy is to the dust, rather than hay itself. When I have run out and had to use toher hay for a few days you can really notice the difference and can see how much more dust there is in standard hay that this stuff.

Hope it helps,
Harriet

Just a quick update:
I tried soaking the hay to remove the dust, but rabbit did not approve *at all* and just wouldn't eat it. Then, for a couple of weeks, I made sure I'd shake the hay a lot (in a different room ;) before feeding, and I believe the sneezing was much less than before. So I'm really thinking it could be due to the dust.

I've just ordered a taster pack from dustfreehay.co.uk and have offered a little box to the bun - he seemed so pleased with it, I think his eyes nearly popped out ;) And it really is dust free, so I guess I'll continue with that and see how the sneezing changes.

Back