• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit insurance- who are you with?

Sophied

Warren Scout
I'm looking at Rabbit insurance from Petplan. It is £10 a month. Do you think this is a good cover plan? They offer £2000 a year in vets fees and cover for life. Anyone got a better plan?
x

I'm with Helpyoucover. I pay £7.07 per bunny, with a one month discount because I have two insured. £2000 per year cover for illness, vet fees etc, then further cover for emergency boarding and more cover for "finding fees" if you lose your pet. Excess is £45. Also comes with up to 6 months premium waiver just in case your circumstances change (eg out of job through illness/involuntary unemploymeny). They also come with a handy 24 hour emergency line to a vet nurse who will give you advice which I like. Not had to claim from them before (although I have used the emergency line and they were very good) so I don't know how easy/quick their payouts are. Most people I have seen on this forum seem to be on PetPlan though so I assume it's quite good!

http://www.helpucover.co.uk/product/pets/page/rabbit-insurance-benefits/

I'm with petplan for all 4 of my buns. I've claimed once for an out of hours emergency with no problems. I'm happy with them so far, but the other company mentioned above sounds good too! Never heard of them before :wave:

I have mine with PetPlan and regularly claim for 2 of them (1 for pasturella and the other for neurological/digestive problems) and never have a problem.

I would speak to your vets first and find out which companies they will do direct claims with. For example where I work we will do direct claims with PetPlan (you just pay us your excess and we claim the rest back on your behalf) but we would probably not deal with HelpUCover direct :)

I think PAH insurance seems pretty good, we deal with them direct and they seem to be really quick at paying out. I have not used them myself though and I am happy sticking with PetPlan.

I've just injured two of mine with Pets@Home. I wanted to insure them with PetPlan, but they are too old so PP won't take them anymore.

I'd be in debt if it wasn't for petplan.

They've paid out on every claim bar one i've put in for Ginger and trust me, that mounts up to a LOT of money.
I pay £9.97 for her per month.

I'd be in debt if it wasn't for petplan.

They've paid out on every claim bar one i've put in for Ginger and trust me, that mounts up to a LOT of money.
I pay £9.97 for her per month.

Poor Ginger! What's the trouble with her?
I think I'm paying £18 something for the 2.

x

Poor Ginger! What's the trouble with her?
I think I'm paying £18 something for the 2.

x

By the way sorry if Ginger isn't a girl, for some reason I assumed!
x

Ginger is indeed a girl :)

She has chronic renal failure (kidneys), pasteurella (excluded from her insurance) and is generally a rather poorly bunny, but she is fine right now, just has some bad days and awful days, but she's still very bunny. She's been in stasis on more occasions than i can think of, and petplan pay out. We actually do a lot of treatment at home, which does save us a fortune, but i doubt petplan would argue.

I pay £19.96 for Ginger and Biscuit total i think.

Good luck in your decision :)

Back