• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bun has Thymoma

bunny babe

Wise Old Thumper
:( Today Homer has been diagnosed with Thymoma. He has been started on steroids (and Zantac) and we are to take him back on Thurs/Fri to see if it is shrinking.

His symptoms started on Tuesday with bulging eyes and 3rd eyelid showing when he was putting his head down to eat. His breathing has been OK but this morning he started breathing rapidly after eating his porridge so we rushed him back to the vets.

He is well in himself and currently out in the garden eating grass.:love:

Last edited:
My Murphy has the same. He is doing really well at the moment xx
That is promising Jane, I did see that when I was doing a search on here.

We are going to reassess on Thurs (probably) and see how things are and if biopsy etc are required for further confirmation then this is what we will do. I have everything crossed for my little man.

The x-ray today did show "white" in the area where it would be and his air passage narrow than it should be.

I am glad Murphy is doing well, hope he continues to stay this way x

Aw, poor Homer. :( ((((((((((((((healing vibes)))))))))))))
I had a scare that Mimzy may have had one pf these, as he has various skin conditions and sometimes exhibits odd respiration patterns. But after biopsy my vet felt he just had an enlarged lymph node due to his recurrent nasal infections.

Sending snuggles for Homer and hugs for you. I hope he continues to do well in himself. (((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Aw, poor Homer. :( ((((((((((((((healing vibes)))))))))))))
I had a scare that Mimzy may have had one pf these, as he has various skin conditions and sometimes exhibits odd respiration patterns. But after biopsy my vet felt he just had an enlarged lymph node due to his recurrent nasal infections.

Sending snuggles for Homer and hugs for you. I hope he continues to do well in himself. (((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))
Thank you.

Homey has not shown any respiratory problems until today. His eyes and 3rd eyelid started showing Tuesday and then this morning he started to "pant" after his porridge so we rushed him down as an emergency.

I hope Mimzy is OK now.

Mimzy is doing pretty well, thank you. :) He has his good days and bad days.
How is Homer doing today?

Thank you, Homey is much the same in that he is well in himself, it is just when he eats that his 3rd eyelid shows and eyes bulge :cry:

I am not sure how soon the steroids are supposed to kick in and improve this.

Thank you, Homey is much the same in that he is well in himself, it is just when he eats that his 3rd eyelid shows and eyes bulge :cry:

I am not sure how soon the steroids are supposed to kick in and improve this.

With the steroid injections Murphy has improvement is quite rapid, usually within 12 hours at the most.

From the Xray did the Vet say if there was a lot of fluid evident ? If so was a diuretic suggested ? Or even drainage of the fluid, although this is obviously invasive.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Cancer/Thym/Thymoma_rab.htm

So sorry to hear about Homer :( Really hope he feels a bit better soon and can continue to enjoy the sunshine (when we have it!) x

So sorry about Homers news.
I think that everyone on here are far better qualified than some vets!
My old bridge bun had bulging eyes and struggled to breath, a few months later he had fluid retention, his legs were massive and he looked like he was sat on a rubber ring.
We saw several vets from different surgeries.7 in total.
Then one day he was really struggling to breath and was screaming, the vet said it was best to pts.
They never mentioned Thymoma.
Not one vet offered steroid injections.
sending lots of hugs for him. XX

So sorry about Homers news.
I think that everyone on here are far better qualified than some vets!
My old bridge bun had bulging eyes and struggled to breath, a few months later he had fluid retention, his legs were massive and he looked like he was sat on a rubber ring.
We saw several vets from different surgeries.7 in total.
Then one day he was really struggling to breath and was screaming, the vet said it was best to pts.
They never mentioned Thymoma.
Not one vet offered steroid injections.
sending lots of hugs for him. XX

my god that's awful, you poor thing :cry:

Back