• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I keep a recently neutered rabbit with a Pregnant Female rabbit?

caringck

Young Bun
I just had to give away my female pet rabbit to a pet shop for her to deliver her kits. I went to meet her, She was not so happy. :/ . She had not eaten anything from 1 day and ate only when I gave her something. I am planning to get my male bunny castrated by Monday.
Can I keep him with the pregnant female after castration?

I just had to give away my female pet rabbit to a pet shop for her to deliver her kits. I went to meet her, She was not so happy. :/ . She had not eaten anything from 1 day and ate only when I gave her something. I am planning to get my male bunny castrated by Monday.
Can I keep him with the pregnant female after castration?

I'm sorry, I dont quite understand this. Why did you 'have' to give the pregnant rabbit to a pet shop of all places? :shock:
Your male will need anything up to 6 weeks for his hormones to completely resettle, so the answer to your question, in my oppinion is a deffinate NO. Plus, if you get your female back that you gave away, she will need to be spayed before the two should be mixed. her hormones will be full and active, and may cause her to attack the male.
But pleae, explain why you gave a pregnmant rabbit away to a pet store?
I just cant get my head around this at all, so Im biting my lip hard here as I dont know the full story.

As you would have to re-introduce them they would probably fight, which could cause the pregnant doe, and her babies, big problems. You could try having them next to each other (if you have 2 cages that is) and see if they are calm.

Why I had to g away the pregnant rabbit.

The pet shop guy gave me a female instead of a male by mistake. I don't have space for a litter of bunnies, neither do I have time. :( .
I guess that now the female bunny is gone forever now. After neutering, I will get my bunny either a male partner and get him castrated or he ll live alone.
Any way,
tell me a thing.
My bunny sleeps almost whole of day time. I leave at 10 am and come back @ 4. Hes still sleeping.. He is just active in morning and dusk..
so even if he lives alone, i think there won't be any issues, right?

The answer is a resounding no.

The male could attack the kits, the mother and father will be extremely hormonal and he can still get her pregnant for several weeks post-neuter.

They need to be kept seperate until both are spayed/neutered and then rebonded on neutral territory in a manner suitable for them both.

The pet shop guy gave me a female instead of a male by mistake. I don't have space for a litter of bunnies, neither do I have time. :( .
I guess that now the female bunny is gone forever now. After neutering, I will get my bunny either a male partner and get him castrated or he ll live alone.
Any way,
tell me a thing.
My bunny sleeps almost whole of day time. I leave at 10 am and come back @ 4. Hes still sleeping.. He is just active in morning and dusk..
so even if he lives alone, i think there won't be any issues, right?

Rabbits are mainly active around those times. Mine may seem lazy in the day but they're awake at night. As for living alone, it isn't ideal, obviously there are cases where rabbits need to be single because of behaviour or something. Until you have a bonded pair you don't really see the benefit. Now my outdoor 2 are bonded it is lovely seeing them together, they have each other if they are scared, cold etc. I have 2 single indoor bunnies, Leo is single because we acquired him from a terrible situation and we didn't really have the room for him but couldn't leave him. We had him neutered asap and he had his dental and vaccinations and after his stroke he lives indoors in his own room. When we move out we will rescue a lady for him but at the moment it's not possible. As for Poppy we will find her a man soon, but for the next month it might be a bit difficult because I'm paying quite a bit out for my driving.

I will get my bunny either a male partner and get him castrated or he ll live alone.

Please don't put two un-neutered males together, they will almost certainly fight and you will end up spending a fortune in vets bills. Both males would need to be neutered but a neutered male spayed female would be an easier pairing.

Back