• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine scald

Georgi

Young Bun
Cello, the doe my bunny Buzz is currently being bonded with (hopefully they should be coming back on Tuesday!) has a scar from a bite on her vulva. Apparently this makes her pee a bit wonky so it sometimes gets on her leg, so I was just wondering if anyone has any tips about managing this?

Obviously I will be discussing it with the owner of the rescue on Tuesday for full details but I like to be prepared lol. :)

My Inca is deformed at her flower (lady bits) area. She pees on herself most days. I manage it by cleaning her with dilute iodine then applying sudocrem. In between her cleaning times, many times through the day I pat her dry with a towel / kitchen roll, this seems to help keep her dry and it helps her to manage cleaning herself better.

Last edited:
Didnt want to tread and run.
How did the rescue cope with this??

I think Id be more inclined to ensure she is clean and dry.
The cage clean, the litter tray clean and dry and changed regularly.

She may well be more prone to fly strike too, so cleanliness for her is important.
You can get some fly repellant for her..made by Beapher, but dont quote me on this.

I hope someone can come and advise further.xxxx

When my bridge bun, Ellie, had a UTI she got urine scald from sitting in her urine. I bathed her back end when she needed it, sometimes I had to place her in water to get it all off her but mainly I used a flannel/cloth to clean her. Obviously I dried her thoroughly afterwards otherwise it would have been pointless, making her more sore than before. I used a towel and a hair dryer on a very cool setting (she seemed to quite like it) but obviously it depends how bad she is and how tolerant she is. Doing this frequently meant that the urine scald healed up on it's own with no need for cream, within a week she no longer looked red and sore and was clearly more comfortable.

If she isn't too bad Kermit's method would be better. :) Keeping everything as clean as possible is essential.

Hope this helps :wave:

Thanks everyone :)

Kermit, just to check, when you bathe Inca with the iodine wash is that similar to a botty bath or do you just wipe her with it?

Yvette, she mentioned cleaning her with an antimicrobial but didn't specify which one they use, using sudocreme and possibly trimming some of the fur around her back end. She also mentioned about using rearguard or similar products to prevent fly strike, but I will be double checking all of this on Tuesday :)

From what I was told she isn't too bad, it's just something that I'll need to keep an eye on and be prepared to deal with if I need to.

Thanks again!! :thumb:

you could just coat the leg with something like sudocream or vaseline so the urine doesn't penetrate the fur and get to the skin underneath. that's all I did with benji when his spraying caused urine scald before his neuter.

When I clean Inca with the dilute iodine I just wet cotton wool and spot clean her with it :)

Just make sure you clean the area before applying any creams as you don't wanna be putting cream on urine soaked skin.

Sudocrem is best when the skin is slightly red / inflammed, Vaseline is more a barrier once the skin has healed up.

When I clean Inca with the dilute iodine I just wet cotton wool and spot clean her with it :)

Just make sure you clean the area before applying any creams as you don't wanna be putting cream on urine soaked skin.

Sudocrem is best when the skin is slightly red / inflammed, Vaseline is more a barrier once the skin has healed up.

:thumb: Thanks for all the info, now I just have to wait patiently until they arrive!

Back