• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Echinacea and Snuffles

When Santa had echinacea for her snuffles I used to put a couple of drops into a syringe with some water and feed it directly to her (would often mix meds in with it too) she used to love it and lap it straight off the syringe. I don't think I ever put it in the water, it's harder to gauge the amount they are taking.

Thank you :D I'll try syringing it too. I just had to make sure it's not harmful. Was Santa being treated with baytril at the time too? I did read on the echinacea leaflet that taking it can strengthen the effects of any medication which sounds a bit risky tbh.

I mentioned to my vet about putting some in the water and he said it was fine. I haven't got around to getting a bottle yet though :oops: though I do have echinachea seeds sprouting!!!

I bought a plant a couple of years ago and have had to split it, it grows very quickly so good news for all rabbit owners. This was before I had her and she wasn't even born! Will try her this year for a few leaves, do I just start her off with one and then see how she goes? I'm guessing it's the same as introducing anything new but once she's used to it how much can she have? For me I never know the quantities with rose leaves etc which she loves. Bramble leaves she has a handful as she's used to them and no ill effects.

I've not fed them before, buying the seed was a bit of an impulse :oops: I guess it's the same as anything, introduce gradually.

I have roses everywhere too so in the summer I'll try her with those too. I'll let you know how it goes down. One minute she seems to like something, the next gets bored with it.

I tend to pick a little of lots of things. Herbs, flowers, weeds. That way they get a wide variety. :) this year I am also planning on drying some rose petals for the winter period.

Oh I'm doing that too since I have over 20 rose bushes in my garden. That's assuming she likes them. Thought I may add it to her hay to make it more interesting.

Excuse me for hopping on to this thread but I am thrilled to hear this...echinacea can be fed to bunnies? :shock: This would be great for my Mimzy who has chronic nasal issues and just came off five weeks of baytril that, while effective, is a long course of meds I'd rather not subject his tum to if I can find a safe natural alternative. :)
Does it have to be a live/dried plant? Not sure I could grow one (I have a brown thumb...because that's what color anything I grow turns to) and drops would have to be ordered from somewhere reputable if anyone has any recommendations. What parts of the plant can they eat?
Also, has anyone here experience with feeding/drying yarrow to bunnies that has any tips? It grows wild in my pesticide-free yard and I know it's a good blood cleanser. Knocks the flu right out of humans.

Excuse me for hopping on to this thread but I am thrilled to hear this...echinacea can be fed to bunnies? :shock: This would be great for my Mimzy who has chronic nasal issues and just came off five weeks of baytril that, while effective, is a long course of meds I'd rather not subject his tum to if I can find a safe natural alternative. :)
Does it have to be a live/dried plant? Not sure I could grow one (I have a brown thumb...because that's what color anything I grow turns to) and drops would have to be ordered from somewhere reputable if anyone has any recommendations. What parts of the plant can they eat?
Also, has anyone here experience with feeding/drying yarrow to bunnies that has any tips? It grows wild in my pesticide-free yard and I know it's a good blood cleanser. Knocks the flu right out of humans.

You can get echinachea tincture from health food shops. It was the biggest seller when I worked in one.

you can get echinacea dried herbs from galens garden. bisc and matt have had those in the past. also, the coneflower from hayexperts is the same things i think? i'm sure i read that somewhere but could be wrong!

I've got Vogel Echinacea tincture (from chemist) for my buns. I put a few drops into their water bowl and they lapped it up so I think they like the taste. I've only been using it for 24 hours but so far their noses are dry :D

I was going to suggest Galens Garden too.

I seem to remember the tincture I had for myself said it contained alcohol which could e driven off by putting the drops in hot water, guess a couple of drops wouldn't result in a tipsy bunny??!!

Sorry to hijack as well but is this a long term thing or for use only over a short time? I have a snuffles bun and was wondering whether this could be the cure I'm looking for! :wave:

I was going to suggest Galens Garden too.

I seem to remember the tincture I had for myself said it contained alcohol which could e driven off by putting the drops in hot water, guess a couple of drops wouldn't result in a tipsy bunny??!!

There is alcohol in Rescue Remedy as well which is sometimes recommended to soothe stressed rabbits. All tinctures need some alcohol to get the active ingredients from the plant. :)

Evie was suffereing from snuffles when we got her and no medication that the vet gave us septrin/baytril etc) cleared it up. However, we put about 1-2ml of Echinacea in her water bowl which takes about 200-300ml as well as a rabbit vitamin solution. We also sprinkle the contents of a red raspberry leaf tablet (avalable from Holland and Barrett) on her food. All of this has cleared up Evie's snuffles but I daren't stop administering it!

Evie was suffereing from snuffles when we got her and no medication that the vet gave us septrin/baytril etc) cleared it up. However, we put about 1-2ml of Echinacea in her water bowl which takes about 200-300ml as well as a rabbit vitamin solution. We also sprinkle the contents of a red raspberry leaf tablet (avalable from Holland and Barrett) on her food. All of this has cleared up Evie's snuffles but I daren't stop administering it!

I'm definitely going to start trying this for my two snuffely ladies!

Back