• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much to syringe feed and how often?

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry for yet another question.

Hm is eating some himself but has lost an awful lot of weight because he isn't eating pellets and always lost weight without pellets. Now he is eating generally less he is losing more.

I've been syringe feeding babyfood which he loves (mainly just pureed fruit stuff which I know isn't the heathiest but it's the only thing I've found that he doesn't spit out so needs much- but he has a stomach like lead so I am confident that it won't upset his gut)). I can only get about 12mls in before he starts spitting it out so how often should I be feeding that?

The only thing he really wants to eat for himself is dandelion leaves and then tiny bits and bobs of other stuff. He's not drinking so I'm also making the presumption that he is starting to get dehydrated too but he spits out water or even flavoured stuff.

He's causing me such a headache to try and make him ok.

Just been talking to mum and looking to go and get a smoothie maker to make bunny smoothie for me to syringe feed into him.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

I am afraid that your knowledge in this area will far surpass mine. It is a question that always worries me when it comes to syringe feeding though so I look forward to reading the answers you receive.:wave::wave:

I have been giving one of my buns critical care daily to help him try to put weight on, he will lick it off a spoon. I have the Fine blend one and the green one.

Has he got a medical condition? I would recommend getting some critical care and mixing the powder baby food with it then syringe feeding him that if he is losing weight. He will need the correct nutrients and fibre. There are many ways to syringe feed, you just have to find the way that suits you and him.
I have found that all rabbits are different and I try different ways. You could try wrapping him in a towel and having him on the floor then lifting his head slightly and popping the syringe in his mouth and putting a little in then releasing your grip from him. This usually works with alot of bunnies for me. It is quite difficult to explain.
How much is he eating by himself? If you get critical care it tells you how much they should be getting but I would say 20-25mls about 4 times a day for an average sized rabbit.

Sorry, I'm not much help with the syringe feeding.

With regard to the fluids, when Floppy was ill I made him special teas, with a mint tea bag, and some chopped leaves that he liked and anything else that was good for him. I let it sit in boiled water for a bit until it cooled and fed him that. He really enjoyed it, much more than plain water.

Thanks guys. That's very helpful.

I have literally tried all my eating and drinking tricks to no avail. I have now bought a smoothie maker to make him his own smoothies. I'll be able to get pellets into him that way too.

Thank you all for your replies.

It does depend on the bunnies weight houw much critical care you should syringe, normally its 3 tablespoons per kilo per 24hours. So for example a two kilo bun should have 6 tablepoons over the course of 24 hours, so should be fed about every four hours. My experience is with Oxbrow critcal care.

Harley was getting about 20-30mls of critical care every three hours as well as about 10mls of water with each feed. We made the critical care quite sloppy as we had to hydrate him as well.

Not sure who this is for, can only take a guess, and i'm sure you're already on top of it, but if he's dehydrated, dandelions are going to make it worse unfortunately, due to their diuretic affect. Is said bun getting SC fluids or additional fluids also?

*hugs* and vibes.

Thanks guys.

Gray, no he isn't getting Sub Qs however he takes more babyfood if it is watered down so that's what I have been doing. He is very bright and his gut is moving well so I'm not concerned currently (although have been previously- so much so that I actually got the needles out to give him Sub Q). I'm sure I'm doing it wrong but I'm doing the best I can.

Thanks guys.

Gray, no he isn't getting Sub Qs however he takes more babyfood if it is watered down so that's what I have been doing. He is very bright and his gut is moving well so I'm not concerned currently (although have been previously- so much so that I actually got the needles out to give him Sub Q). I'm sure I'm doing it wrong but I'm doing the best I can.

If he's bright and bubbly, thats definately a plus :) Sounds like you have got the hydration side of it under control then and at least he's eating so guts ticking over like you say.

Is he taking the baby food hungrily?

Ginger is syringe fed every 2 hours, when at the vets, i rarely have to do it, but not sure on the amount - i can find out quickly though if you want, i'm due to talk to the vet shortly anyway?

He's not mad keen on it but I can tell now from having given so much when he wants to stop. This morning he got 'babyfood hips' at Ella's kitchen stuff. He's eating a fair amount himself but because he has been losing weight I'm adding it in as a supplement against everything else he is eating. I'm doing it roughly four-five times during the day. Have done it overnight but often when I come down in the night he is stuffing his face with something.

Back