• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice to minimise pining

Next weekend I have to give my lovely house bunny Billie-Jean up as I'm going to Australia permanently.

She has bonded with my feet, only my feet, and does all the usual courtship things to them (even though she's spayed) such as running around them grunting, rubbing against them etc

She is going to a rescue (hopefully just temporarily). Does anyone have any advice on how to minimise her pining for me and reduce the stress on her? She's only about 18 months old.

I've heard from the boarders when I've gone away that she sulks quite a bit but, luckily, still eats.

I'd give them all her possessions too, so she has things familiar there. I'd take her housing, if you can, although most rescues house their buns outdoors. I take it from your post she is single? But if not her friend being there would be the biggest comfort.

I'd take a plastic bag with a bit of her poop/dirty litter, to help her settle in, along with any blankets etc which have been washed a couple of days before so they are clean but have been given to her since so they smell like her.

Personally, I would also supply the rescue with a few months worth of toys, enrichment things like apple sticks and her favourite hays, treats etc... all the things she is used to at home, but that the rescue might be lacking in funds to give her. The idea being that she will still be kept in the standard she is used to and will have things to keep her busy.

I imagine you've already started to change her over to the food they use, but if not I'd take some of her usual, so she can spend the first few weeks when she'll be most vulnerable on her usual food, both for routine and because stress increases the chance of gut problems.

This is a subject I am considering myself at the moment, as my two buns are going into boarding for a month soon, and they'll be in boarding for the first time. One is very attached to me, whilst the other doesnt seem too attached but most be fairly so because she is scared of anyone that isnt me.

Back