• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bun wont stop licking neuter wound

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Pebbles has been licking his neuter wound and it's quite hard to stop him as he doesn't pay attention to me unless I physically try to stop him doing it and even then he goes straight back to doing it and it have to repeatedly stop him quite a few times before he gives up. I checked his wound and it looks a little irritated so I was wondering could I cover it with anything like a bandage to stop him getting at it?? Or should I just keep trying to stop him. I am just worried during the night when I can't stop him doing it...

Can you try distracting him with things? Treat ball, apple sticks etc if you have them?
If that doesn't work, I would give the vets a ring in the morning and just ask their advice, they might know something you can put on it safely.
Sorry I didn't have any more suggestions, my little one was neutered 3 weeks ago, had his stitches out today, and didn't touch them once!

Has he had pain relief since he got home? I have found they are most likely to lick it when they need painkillers then they leave it alone again.

They said if I needed more painkillers just ask for more. They only gave a little as she said males perk up quicker then females. Might have to get some more then, he actually seems a little in pain still, keeping himself hunched up. probably from licking it. He had been licking it ever since the evening he got back though. Just want to make sure he doesn't irritate it too much.

If you can't find a way to stop him he might need a collar otherwise he can do some damage. Try painkillers first.
With a female I would have said put a babygrow on to cover the wound but it's a little harder on a male. I don't know what else to suggest. You can get soft collars but probably not at short notice.

Back