• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Possible UTI

Top_Cat

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,

Popsy recently (3 weeks ago) visited the vets as he was dribbling urine and was diagnosed with a UTI and possible bladder stone. After an xray it was decided that his bladder was clear, no stone and no sludge so we finished the course of antibiotics and he seemed to get better. Tonight we noticed that he is dribbling again. Do you think it may be that the original UTI and it's just not cleared or that there may be an underlying problem. He's 1yr old, neutered, house bun, bonded with Buck. They get lots of veg for breakfast, hay and just under 1/4 cup of pellets for dinner each. I'm going to call the vet in the morning.

Thanks for any ideas x

Thank you, I'll print that off and take it with me just in case. I think it's a different vet on a Saturday so he won't know Pops. Hopefully it's just a reocurrence of the UTI.

Diabetes can cause recurrent UTIs. If it was diabetes there would probably be other symptoms too though like excessive drinking/urination. But if nothing else turns up to be wrong it might be worth a quick blood test to check if it is or to rule out diabetes.

Both boys drink for England! Bucky drinks more his bladder must take up half his insides. When he pees you can hear it the other side of the room! I don't think Popsy drinks.pees excessively but I'll take that suggestion with me too. The vet's gonna be fed up with me :) Popsy seems ok in himself and his behaviour doesn't seem to have changed in the slightest. Thanks for that suggestion too x

Ok, I would have thought we'd have noticed if it was anything chronic as they are with us all the time . I may be wrong though!

I have an appointment at the vets for 3.10pm, Popsy has been binkying around the room and is now having a nap on a puppy training pad. He's still a bit damp on the underside.

One of my rabbits has recently had a problem with doing small wees about the place and dribbling urine down the inner side of his back legs.

We have started a long course of panacur for both my rabbits including weekly cleans with a discinfectant which kills EC spores of any enviroment / equipment that they have been in contact with.

10 day course of antibiotics which did intitially improve him.

Yesterday he had an x-ray under GA which did not show any calcium deposts or stones and a cystoscopy and bladder washout which showed a lot of bladder sludge. He has had his man garden and his inner hind legs shaved to help him keep himself clean.

He is now on a pelleted food which is for urinary buns, high fluid intake, 'foraged' diet with lots of plantain and dandlion which is a natural diuretic, a low calcium bottled water.

I am now looking to work out low calcium 'fresh' foods and also hays to feed him on which are low in calcium but maintain good hydration.

I have just bought dandelion and plantain seeds from The Hay Experts which I have planted in large pots for them.

Thanks for the information, sounds similar to Popsy's problem, I'll see what the vet says and then go from there. I'll have a look at the veg I'm giving them, it's fine in the summer, it all comes out of the garden but I find it difficult in the winter and just get it from the supermarket.

Last edited:
Back from the vet, she had a good root around much to Popsy's displeasure, said his bladder feels small and soft and as there is no evidence of sludge in the x-ray from 3 weeks ago or in his urine to try the antibiotics again for a longer period. Then she charged me £60. Don't get me wrong I'll pay anything for him to be well but it is criminal.

Rant over, thanks for all your help, hopefully this will work.

Do you think we should worm them both as well?

Back