• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please mucas on droppings

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, my 3yr old rabbit is having mucus on his droppings and he has had this on and off ever since he was small but hes never been a good hay eater but will eat grass,dandelion heads,parsley, but has anyone got any ideas why this happens. Thanks

It generally means an inflammation of the stomach. I would take a trip to the vets as it could be quite serious.

I agree with this.
What do you feed him (ie amount of pellets)?

Snowy has an eggcup of pets at home nuggets in the morning and a eggcup of musli in the evening, grass,parsley,broccoli stem and dried leaves made by excel.

Snowy has an eggcup of pets at home nuggets in the morning and a eggcup of musli in the evening, grass,parsley,broccoli stem and dried leaves made by excel.

Perhaps he's filling up on pellets & muesli rather than eating lots of hay? I would try gradually cutting out the muesli completely and just feeding the eggcupful of pellets. Hay is so important (should be 80% of his diet to keep his teeth and digestive system in good order) that perhaps you could try different types of hay until you find one he really likes. (Hay4Pets do sample packs on-line).

Back