• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny wear and mobility

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Hay Monster has some fancy bunny wear

20120419_6.jpg

20120419_3.jpg

He has it because his mobility is not good and he has worn away the fur on his belly and now it is thickened, dry and starting to crack and be sore.

However, when he has this on his loses what mobility he has. He can't balance or anything (He has scoliosis and two slipped discs). Any ideas on why?

We're trying many different options for how to help his tummy but covering it and using cream under the covering has to be a strong and favoured option right now but because it's affecting his balance it's rubbish!

Hi Sky-O great to see you, we miss you :wave:

Had a thought on this, I know it sounds a bit mad but I think it may work.....not that Im an expert.

Could you fashion a jacket from a soft mesh? I'm thinking the sort of mesh that is used for those little laundry tablet bags. I'm sure a textiles bod will be along shortly to say what it is.

It would stop abrasion but still allow air to circulate around the skin. Anything dense in weave will obviously cause sweating.

Just a thought, not sure if its any help?

Hiya, I was wondering how Hay Monster was! Did you find out what's wrong with him? Is it EC related? I hope he's doing ok and is happy x

Is it maybe the actual fabric that is restrictive? Maybe too tight round the legs?

Could you even cut the back off, so that there were just straps going across his back and leaving the large area covered underneath? Just trying to think of ways that you could keep the belly covered but have minimal amount of fabric on him!

I seem to have missed most of what has happened with Hay Monster so I'm not 100% clued up, but perhaps he just needs to get used to wearing it?
How does he loose his movement from wearing it? Does he just not seem to move as well, is he more reluctant to or is it impeding the movement in some way?

It just reminds me of when we rescued a baby seagull who had been hit by a car. He had to have his wing strapped up and the guy at the rescue said just be careful because seagulls seem to think they can't walk if you strap up one of their wings. And as soon as he put the baby on the floor he fell over.

Bless him, he looks soo fluffy!!! Gorgeous bunny.

We had a dog years ago that had a stroke but was still happy in herself and so she started sort of dragging herself on one side of her tummy until it ended up raw. We hit the same problem in that a little coat we got from the vets stopped her being able to get around at all, figured out it was pressing down on the top of her back legs and rubbing so she didn't want to move. I ended up making a little cotton wrap with knitted cuffs around the legs so they didn't hurt or pull. If your bun doesn't get used to it then it might be an idea to try making something that is a bit further away from his legs to give him a more natural feeling of the movements he makes.

Really hope he's feeling better soon or at least doesn't get any worse. :)

Thank you very much for your reply, linzielegs. I'm not entirely sure exactly what you're describing but it sounds very promising if it helped your dog(who was clearly so lucky to be so loved by your family). Do you have any photos of it and how it worked or anything?

I probably don't have any pictures I can get at, they were taken back when camera's used rolls of film! I'm pretty sure I have the original designs in my journals though so should be able to scan them onto the computer later on. I'll go for a rummage when my son is in bed.

Maybe one of those mesh harnesses that they sell for walking your rabbit, as they are cut to rabbit shape it might fit better. I know when I tried a sock like bandage to cover a wound on Scamps chest he was really unimpressed and it was hard to get it to fit around the elbows and hips and allow him to move normally. Or maybe even the style with just straps so it just holds in place a pad under her chest and that would feel less restrictive.

Thank you both.

Tamsin, I've been looking at bunny harnesses for that reason but because his baldy stretches right down near his legs that would leave a lot unprotected.

Linzielegs, if you're able to scan in the designs that would be grand, but if not, that's ok.

He is doing 'ok' in a tubi grip. It's actually forcing him to rest and lie down which is a good thing and when it comes off (I take it off whenever I'm not around), he now, from now where, can sit up for short periods of time. I'm being liberal with Savlon under the tubigrip and some of his baldy is now healing and not looking sore, just like skin. The dog bed he is lying on seems to not be aggravating it either like the hay was.

This is what he looks like. He spends most of his time lying like this when in this, but he does get up for a wee and he noms and stuff whilst lying like that.

20120421_66.jpg

Wee soul. Is the tubigrip tight? Just thinking that a sleeve from a cotton long sleeved t-shirt could be a good idea too?

My one concern about the bandaging/tubigrip would be that he could develope a pneumonia due to both his immobility and the restricted capacity for his chest cavity to expand :?

My one concern about the bandaging/tubigrip would be that he could develope a pneumonia due to both his immobility and the restricted capacity for his chest cavity to expand :?

What do you suggest? I can't do right no matter how hard I try.

I am wondering if tubifast may be better for him to wear as it is lighter and less restricting than tubigrip

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/sear...&catname=&sort=&pp=&vv=list&sid=&bw=&showTab=

Sorry for being thick, but what's the difference?

I have taken it off. I have no idea what else to try. If someone else can do better and can fix him where I am clearly failing then please, make yourself known.

Back