• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Specific reasons why you shouldn't bath bunnies

catherine09

Mama Doe
A couple of times I have come across owners regularly bathing their bunnies, and not trying to sound over-critical I always try to say something as I know it's a no no.

However, apart from increased stress, what other specific reasons are there for not bathing a bunny? (Apart from when absolutely necessary)

Stress, which can cause stasis which is obviously dangerous.
They can't keep their body temp stable if they're wet. Even worse if they're being put back outside after a bath.
If it's a long haired bunny, then bathing them can make mats in their fur worse and harder to get out

In addition it is drying for their skin as it is stripped of it's natural oils.

As well as risk of stasis stress can also cause them to try to run away and they could injure themselves if for example the floor gets slippy or they twist their back jumping from height.

Risk of hypothermia, Rabbit fur is VERY dense and takes an age to fully dry.

Risk of aspiration pneumonia

Risk of stress induced gut problems

Risk of stress triggering a latent illness eg 'Snuffles'

What has already been said, but on top of that - what are the reason's for bathing? If mucky bum, is bun on wrong food/not enough fibre/too fat to clean itself etc. Keeping a bun clean instead of allowing it to clean itself may mask the real issue

What has already been said, but on top of that - what are the reason's for bathing? If mucky bum, is bun on wrong food/not enough fibre/too fat to clean itself etc. Keeping a bun clean instead of allowing it to clean itself may mask the real issue

Unsure - I don't like to pry when people haven't specifically asked for advice as IMO it sounds too critical, I just try and offer advice (usually based on photos). Anyway, thanks to the replies to this I am now better informed and can provide more reasoning :D

Stress, water in ears, not drying off properly and the fact healthy bunnies can keep themselves perfectly clean anyway.

Back