• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Combo vaccine

BaileyBunn

Warren Scout
Hi,

Am taking Bailey in to the vets to have her combo vaccine tonight, am slightly dubious about it at the moment as before it was always advised to have the vhd and myxi separate. I have also read on another thread that rabbits that have had the Myxi vaccination cannot have the dual vaccination, the dual vaccination will only be for bunnies who have never been vaccinated???

Bailey had her last myxi injection in December last year, Im always advised to take her for it every 6 months (though it is supposed to cover a year), I am worried that the dual injection should only be given once the myxi and vhd are totally run out?

Any info?

Thanks xx

The separate myxi jab only lasts 6 months. The advice about previously vaccinated rabbits only applies to rabbits in europe who recieve myxi jabs with a myxi virus in it. Our 6 monthly jab does not contain myxomatosis so previously vacc'd buns from the uk can have this new vaccine.

Hope that helps x

Poppy had the combined jab about 2 weeks ago and has been fine since:D It will make a big difference to her as she really hates the upset of going to the vets so unless she is unwell she will only need to go once a year now:thumb:

Regarding timing in relation to previous vaccinations - my bunnies recently had the combination vaccination even though they're not due their VHD for a few months (+ timing issues as they came into the rescue separately). My vet - who is rabbit-savvy and has been recommended by local 'bunny' people - assured me this was fine.

(There may be varying opinions, particularly as it is all very new..? I'm sure we will all be keeping a very close eye on our buns)

Back