• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing bun!

Sophied

Warren Scout
Hey,

Just wondered if anyone else has a bunny who sneezes frequently? One of mine does! He doesn't have a runny nose and any liquid there is clear anyway. I have just noticed because my otherbun doesn't sneeze at all… ever! Could it be because he (the sneezer) has a flatter face? It makes me think of that wheezing Persian type cat on Babe Sheep Pig…?! :? My buns are due a check up in June so I'll discuss it then but anyone had this before and thinks I should go sooner? I've had a horse with COPD before… Is there COPD for bunnies, or a similar thing?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Sx

Bunnies can get snuffles, respiratory infections, allergies, all sorts. If he is sneezing frequently I would pop him down the vets. If it is a problem, the quicker you get it treated the better the prognosis.

I have a netherland dwarf that sometimes sneezes and my other 2 (lionhead and lionheadxlop) don't. I've had him to vets about it and they didn't seem to be too concerned about it. Have you notice the rabbit do anything prior to the sneezing? Mine tends to sneeze alot if he or one of the others knock in to his face. He's also got a flat face and the other 2 don't. However, if you feel it's something to be concerned about a quick trip to the vet isn't a bad idea.

I don't think it is Snuffles because he has never had running eyes and he has sneezed ever since I got him 4 months ago. Am I right in thinking Bunnies can be allergic to hay and need it soaked? He seems to sneeze more when he's eating his hay.

I think I will take him to the vet though because I just read about Snuffles and I don't want him to suffer with that.

x

Having said that, snuffles is contagious from what I've read and my otherbun never ever sneezes… back to allergy?
S

It could still be a bacterial infection affecting the airways, my Boris has that (pasteurella) and he's never had any discharge from his eyes and nose. Also, Bella isn't affected by it at all. I believe the symptoms can vary depending on where exactly the infection is located. Having said that, it could also be an allergy.

Well I go between carpets, lino, newspaper and carefresh. There is obviously hay there all the time. How can the vet tell if it's an infection or an allergy?
x

Well when there's discharge they usually run a culture and sensitivity test which will often reveal the presence of bacteria and how it is best treated, but if there isn't any discharge that becomes more difficult obviously. My vet decided to try it with Boris anyway but I don't have any results yet. They can sometimes get results even without discharge, but it's rare. From what you've described however it doesnt sound like an allergy to me, I may be wrong though. Maybe it's the hay? Hay can be dusty. Might be worth trying a different brand/type?

Last edited:
I just don't know. He was like this when I got him from the rescue centre and I just thought that's the way he is, but lately I've been wondering. He doesn't have much discharge, just a tiny bit of clear. I will take him to the vets first thing on Monday morning. Perhaps he is sneezing because he used to be an outdoor bun- maybe he didn't sneeze when he was outdoors.
I don't stick to one particular brand of hay- I change quite often.
S x

Ah, I see. Actually, I think temperature changes can cause snuffles, so him being brought indoors could be a possible cause although that might depend on how long ago that was etc. There could be many possible causes, I'm still not quite sure what has caused Boris to develop problems :( But your vet might be able to determine this or at least shed some light on what the issue might be :) Just make sure he eats properly and is comfortable in the meantime.

I just don't know. He was like this when I got him from the rescue centre and I just thought that's the way he is, but lately I've been wondering. He doesn't have much discharge, just a tiny bit of clear. I will take him to the vets first thing on Monday morning. Perhaps he is sneezing because he used to be an outdoor bun- maybe he didn't sneeze when he was outdoors.
I don't stick to one particular brand of hay- I change quite often.
S x

Grimlock is always worse when he's inside. He's worse with central heating, it makes him so bad that he has to be outside in the winter.
I wonder if it's dust? I live in a very old house with very old carpets and no matter how well I hoover them they're still dusty. I'm wondering if this is affecting Grim and I'm considering cleaning the carpets properly. I actually cleaned them all with diluted vinegar but I have no idea if that helped. :lol:

I have no idea if bunnies get dust allergies, but that would be my bet. The thing with him sneezing is just that it seems a natural thing for him to do- he is happy- he binkies like mad, chews his toys, grooms his gf, eats lots, drinks... I have no concerns about him in himself if you know what I mean. So I am hopeful it is nothing serious like snuffles, but as you say, vet will be the best to help find out.
S x

Thank you everyone for your replies. I took Teddy and Ruby to the vets yesterday. The vet had a good look at Teddy (sneezabun) and said he doesn't have any discharge and she thinks based on everything he is healthy- I should just get dust free hay or soak my hay. This is fine and actually I haven't heard him sneeze since we went to the vets.
I was really worried and am now quite relieved!
S xx

Back