• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

New combo vaccine

Hi all, just to let you know my buns (execpt Pixie due to health probs at the moment) had their combo jab and all are fine, showing no signs of having a vaccine at all. I will continue to keep a very close eye one them all but so far so good. As it's only given yearly I'm still going to pop them all to the vets for a check up three times a year anyway as they would have done with the vaccinations in the old way :D

That is good to know thanks. Half of mine are due at the end of May which is quite soon. Did it cost the same, more or less for the combo?

I'm not sure on the price as my four buns are in a 'vet club' which I pay monthly for so all vaccines, treatment (20%discount), rearguard and wormers throughout the year are all included I'm afraid. Perhaps give your vet a ring just to make sure :thumb:

Thanks for letting us know. Doughnut will have hers in July. Seems they recover quickly with the combo. She used to just be quieter and wanted to be left alone for a day before, just a bit under the weather but still eating!

Hi,

Am taking Bailey in to the vets to have her combo vaccine tonight, am slightly dubious about it at the moment as before it was always advised to have the vhd and myxi separate. I have also read on another thread that rabbits that have had to Myxi vaccination cannot have the dual vaccination, the dual vaccination will only be for bunnies who have never been vaccinated???

Bailey had her last myxi injection in December last year Im always advised to take her for it every 6 months (though it is supposed to cover a year), I am worried that the dual injection should only be given once the myxi and vhd are totally run out?

Any info?

Thanks xx

I've been told that the combo is fine for rabbits that have been previously vaccinated separately for myxi and vhd. Doughnut had her myxi in Jan so she will have the dual one in July as that's when her vhd runs out. The combo one lasts a year.

One vet I spoke to who aren't doing the combo at the moment said that the mxyi jab is given as a bubble under the fur rather than how the vhd one is given. Not sure what they were on about as sure my vet gave Doughnut the jab exactly the same for both vaccines.

I think there has been so much research done beforehand that I'm happy go give the combo one to her. Looks like there is little side effects and only one trip to the vets instead of three so less stress for everyone!

Poppy was absolutely fine after having the combo vaccine, it was £28 for hers so will be much cheaper as well.

Back