• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any idea's on why my Friends rabbit died?.........

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Hi everyone Just wondering If anyone have any idea's on why my friend from school rabbit died.

Well last night the bun was very lethargic and had some diarrhoea when she held the bun it was quite floppy and quite warm. She last checked at 11 pm and the bun was okay.... then this morning it had died but as it was on the platform in the PAH hutch it was like flopped down. the bun lived with her sister and her sister was grooming her when she found the bun.

The buns are not vaccinated, does anyone know what the bun could of died of? she is very worried the other bunny could get it and she has 3 other bunnies......

also now her other bunny is lonely should she bond it with one of her other females even if neither are spayed????

I can't help as to why your friends bunny died but if it had a been my bunny I would a got it to a emergency vet last night 😢😢😢

Sadly it will be impossible for us to guess as it could have been so many things.

Very possibly due to non vaccination and she must get her other rabbit checked immediately. If it's VHD, then it's likely too late as it only takes 2 days to kill an infected rabbit if contracted.

It could also be an infection and again, if it's killed the one rabbit it could kill the other one.:(

Sadly it will be impossible for us to guess as it could have been so many things.

Very possibly due to non vaccination and she must get her other rabbit checked immediately. If it's VHD, then it's likely too late as it only takes 2 days to kill an infected rabbit if contracted.

It could also be an infection and again, if it's killed the one rabbit it could kill the other one.:(

oh dear ... she has another 3 rabbits, I have advised her to get them vaccinated asap with the combined vaccine but i suppose if it did have VHD then its probably too late :(

I will link her too this thread so helpful advice would be good.

Impossible to say. The rabbit should have been seen by a vet last night. Her remaining buns need to be seen by a vet, neutered and vaccinated asap.

Impossible to say. The rabbit should have been seen by a vet last night. Her remaining buns need to be seen by a vet, neutered and vaccinated asap.

Yes, personally if it was any of my buns then they would of been taken to the emergency vet straight away. its too late now :( First they need to be vaccinated asap , neutering can wait a few weeks as its not urgent right now the jabs are what needs doing now.

I agree, vaccs are more important. But given females high rate of uterine cancer, spaying should be done as soon as possible (i.e. once they're all given the okay by the vet, etc) Hopefully your friend will learn from this.

I agree, vaccs are more important. But given females high rate of uterine cancer, spaying should be done as soon as possible (i.e. once they're all given the okay by the vet, etc) Hopefully your friend will learn from this.

Ok. she is very upset and worried, I think she will definitely get the others vaccinated. I am linking her to this thread.

What a shame :( It could have been VHD, it does unfortunately come on suddenly and kill fast. But it could equally have been gut stasis or any number of other conditions. I would advise your friend to opt for a necropsy and get her other rabbits vaccinated asap.

What a shame :( It could have been VHD, it does unfortunately come on suddenly and kill fast. But it could equally have been gut stasis or any number of other conditions. I would advise your friend to opt for a necropsy and get her other rabbits vaccinated asap.

Yes :( they have already buried the bun .... :(

Jack, I think she needs to be sure if it was true diarrhoea or not as if it was it could be very contagious if caused by some kinds of infection so that should be discussed with the vet asap and if possible a sample taken to show the vet. She should be sure to have some precautions in place too with the other rabbits on site such as change of clothes in between handling/cleaning out and keeping everything really clean with a proper antibacterial cleaner. This won't be much use if it's VHD, but it might be useful it it's an infection.

Yes :( they have already buried the bun .... :(

in the garden where the other rabbits are? If so, and it was VHD, that could be a problem as VHD remains active in soil for about 6 weeks I think I'm right in saying so that won't help contain any spread :-( VHD is passed by direct contact, indirect contact (clothes/soil/car tyres/hay), on the wind and by biting insects.

Jack, I think she needs to be sure if it was true diarrhoea or not as if it was it could be very contagious if caused by some kinds of infection so that should be discussed with the vet asap and if possible a sample taken to show the vet. She should be sure to have some precautions in place too with the other rabbits on site such as change of clothes in between handling/cleaning out and keeping everything really clean with a proper antibacterial cleaner. This won't be much use if it's VHD, but it might be useful it it's an infection.

Yes she said they were runny blobs of poo and there was a little bit on her fur but was not flystrike. I dont know if she can get a sample as I think she has done a clean out now... I will wait and see what she says if she comes online later.

in the garden where the other rabbits are? If so, and it was VHD, that could be a problem as VHD remains active in soil for about 6 weeks I think I'm right in saying so that won't help contain any spread :-( VHD is passed by direct contact, indirect contact (clothes/soil/car tyres/hay), on the wind and by biting insects.

I know :(

Back